Chapter Fifty-Three: Night Falls over the Hawk's Nest

"There you are!" Caleb's voice boomed through massive speakers.

The room was alive as the crowd erupted in harsh whispers and gasps.

Up on the building-sized screen, Hazel looked over her shoulder as Caleb sprinted through the field. His sword flashed with every stride.

Coriolanus's gloved hand tightened on the armrest of his chair while the other tapped a light beat against his lips. His features were tight but careful and guarded.

A malicious giggle came from the chair beside him. "Increase brightness," Dr. Gaul ordered. I want our audience to be able to see the action. It's not every Games we get a night fight."

"Yes, Dr. Gaul." The technician replied; without looking up, he adjusted several toggles on his console.

The arena's moon and stars grew brighter.

Hazel was bent over and tearing at the grass around her.

"Looks like the wildflower has got something up her sleeve." Dr. Gaul tilted her head as she scrutinized the girl.

Coriolanus nodded, commenting without taking his eyes off the screen, "She is full of surprises."

Hazel paused before she lunged toward something in the grass.

Caleb's sharp voice made several in the crowd jump, "All out of tricks yet?"

"Don't take a bathroom break now, folks! Looks like things are heating up between our tributes from two and seven." Lucky grinned widely as he addressed the crowd. "Let's see if our lady seven's luck is about to run out."

Hazel stood straight, and something glinted in her hand: an axe.

The corner of Coriolanus's lips twitched upward; he rubbed at it with his gloved fingers. Below in the mentor's lounge, Festus slammed his fist down on the table in excitement. He hadn't sat down in his chair for the past two hours. He was either standing sweating over his console or pacing a hole in the elegant floor.

Across the room, Augustus was also standing, but he was so still that it wasn't even clear if he was breathing. He stood straight, unmoving, arms crossed, barely blinking as he stared at the broadcast. His angular face was tense and stoic. The three victors from District Two sat against the far wall, whispering to each other and indulging in large gulps of various colors of alcohol.

Hazel wheeled around, tucking the knife in her belt, and began to sprint, "Almost."

"More running?" Caleb huffed as he continued to dash toward her.

"If you want to give up, by all means," Hazel yelled.

Smatterings of laughter broke out.

Coriolanus continued to tap away the smile threatening to break through.

Dr. Gaul peered at him through the side of her eye but said nothing.

Hazel skidded to a stop in front of the Cornucopia. The girl paused for a moment before she threw herself at the wall, clawing at it, but her hands slid and squeaked.

"Luck running out there, Red?" Caleb bellowed.

Lucky coughed out a snicker. He then turned and pointed to his temple with a dramatic gesture, "Great minds, folks!"

More dull laughter followed.

"She does seem to be running out of options and places to hide." Dr. Gaul commented as if she was merely discussing the color of the walls.