CHAPTER 8

JASMINE
1198

He entered the hall with grace, his eyes directly meeting mine—without any fear, without any hesitation. He appeared like a frugal tradesman in his plain black tunic and hose, with his scuffed boots hugging his big calves. He wasn't here to impress anyone. He walked closer to me, but held on to my stare. I was again spellbound by his aura and grace, and the way he looked at me. I was melting on the inside, yet blooming like a flower.

I offered my hand, and he took it to kiss my ring with delight.

We were too busy staring at each other when my Royal Advisor cleared his throat and announced, "Would you kindly offer your introduction?"

He did not bow, and not called me Your Majesty, but he dove right into my soul, not bothering to leave my hand.

"Lovers know not what they do when they conceal their passion from one another."

I held my breath tightly. He was quoting Chrétien de Troyes again, and I dared not blink. But this time, he was speaking the words of the Queen, who confronted Soredamors when she found out that her lady-in-waiting was in love with Alexander. He was doing it again, pulling me into his world, but I utterly failed to read his mind.

"Love is a serious business, and whoever does not boldly lay its foundation firm can hardly succeed in completing the edifice."

He pulled my hand, leaving me no choice other than to step down from the throne. I felt a flicker of illicit excitement at his touch and did not want to let go.

"They say there is nothing so hard to cross as the threshold."

Yes, I knew. And I had already crossed it when his hand sought mine.

"Now I wish to instruct you in the lore of love,
For I know well that Love is tormenting you
."

My heart was beating erratically, and I was certain that every man, woman, servant, and guard was able to hear it in my court. This man was brazen enough to strip me off my throne in front of my courtiers, and I was doing nothing to stop him.

"So, beware, and conceal nothing from me!"

Did he know that I was awake all night thinking about him?

"You are acting very foolishly in not speaking out your mind,
For concealment will be the death of you.
"

He pulled me closer, close enough to steal a kiss from me.

"Thus, you will be the murderer of Love."

His conviction eased the erratic pounding of my heart. I was still taken off-guard by his words, but the way he looked into my eyes...he was not treating me like royalty. Instead, I was just a woman, falling in love with a man.

"You, insolent man!" interjected my Royal Advisor, who broke the spell I was in. I blinked as the man left my hand, creating a safe distance between us. "How dare you call our Queen a murderer?" I heard the swords unsheathing, the guards moving in our direction, but the man in front of me was indeed insolent. He made no move nor bated a mere breath at his surroundings. It was as if, in this court, only two people existed—he and I.

I raised my hand, and all the men around me halted. Stepping away from him, I sat on my throne. I finally gathered some courage to address this man.

"My court wants to know who you are and where you are from," I announced.

He gave me an impish smile. Something inside me twisted. I hated how much power he had over me. My own body was a traitor to me.

"Your Majesty?" As if he needed my permission to speak, he bowed gracefully and looked around at the men. "My name is David Hue," he said. David Hue! I could have never guessed. I would have never thought he would have the same name as my palace.

"And where are you from?" asked my Advisor.

He held on to my stare. "From a lover's paradise." My spine stiffened at his words.

"Is there such a place?" the Advisor asked.

David averted his gaze from mine and smiled at the Advisor.

"It could be anywhere," he said, eyes meeting mine again, "as long as two hearts beat on a single rhythm and sing one song."

Why was he doing this to me? Why was he torturing me? His voice was so calm and subtle that I was unable to figure out how he managed to do it, whereas my heart was ringing in my ears. For the first time in my life, I wished I had a leman's skills. And then I could tempt him so greatly that his formidable self-control would burn up like dry straw in the torch of my passion.

The Royal Advisor ignored his answer and continued asking, "What have you brought for Her Majesty?"

"What I was here to offer Her Majesty, she already has," said David, with a confidence of a Greek God. "And she knows what she has."

Was he talking about his sword...or his heart? Was he foolish enough to lay his heart again in front of me, in front of my men? Was he confident that I'd have it, or that I'd keep it safe?

"Indeed," I answered, addressing my Advisor. "He is here to collect his sword."

I avoided looking at David. I did not want to disappoint myself if there was nothing else besides his sword that he wished to acquire. But if he wanted more than a sword, was I willing to give it to him?

I picked up the sword that I had kept by my side and handed it to my Advisor. "The court is dismissed," I announced, and left the hall without a backward glance—leaving my heart somewhere with David.

 "The court is dismissed," I announced, and left the hall without a backward glance—leaving my heart somewhere with David