CHAPTER 14

STEVE
18 JUNE 2015

"Mr Bernard," I was greeted by my lawyer, Bob Gilbert, when we arrived back at the West Hempstead Police Station.

"Mr Gilbert." I shook hands with him.

"We have your bail approved." He gave me a rueful smile. "We are good to go."

DC Khan cleared her throat. "May I have a word with your client?" She glared at my lawyer. Was she expecting me to spend another night in remand?

Gilbert glanced in my direction, not sure what to say.

"It's okay," I said to my lawyer. DC Khan gestured me towards the same closed room where she had held me hostage last night. She closed the door behind us with a loud thud.

"Are you out of your mind?" she yelled.

"What now?"

"What now?" She folded her arms over her chest. We hadn't spoken since we left Edward's chamber. There was nothing much to talk about. I had finally stopped caring about what the law might think of me. All I wanted was to know if Myra was safe with Edward, if she had any more powers over the castle, and if she had any relationship with the cursed family. "What now?"

"You're only repeating," I mumbled.

"Shut up, Steve!" she groaned. "You made me believe this stupid fantasy story of yours that your fiancée was a fuckin' time traveller who happens to be living with some Prince Edward of Medieval England."

I pulled out the chair, taking a seat calmly. "I don't care what you think, DC Khan."

"The hell you do!" Wrenching the other chair with a squeak, she sat opposite me. "Do you realise that if you're out of here, the police will keep an eye on you—twenty-four-seven—because I have not made them believe that you're not a suspect."

"That's because you don't believe me, either." I leaned forward, resting my elbows on the table. "You still think of this as some medieval fantasy and not the true story." I chuckled. "Go on!" I gestured towards the rest of the room. "Spy on me, and see if I go back to the castle to write to Edward." Her mouth was now agape, which made me snort. "Seriously, Maira?" I sat back. "You really think I'm that lame that I'd go back to the castle, change the evidence, or bring more sketches to make you believe that my fiancée has travelled through time? That one obsessive medieval prince keeps sketching her, and then I'd bring more sketches to make you believe that this is what you are seeing?" I shook my head, laughing at the absurd situation. "Do you think that the CEO of Excalibur Games has such a luxury to kill a woman, who was the main lead in his game? The woman who was his key to Universal Studios and working with Sony on a VR version of his game? Do you think the man who had accepted two million dollars' worth of pre-orders would jeopardise his entire career and his company for fuckin' jealousy over a girl being in love with another man?"

If jaws could actually drop, hers would have hit the linoleum floor by now.

"I told you, if you don't trust me, that's all right, but I have nothing more to give you in my statement." I stood up. "Here is what I suggest—as a friend." I straightened my jacket. "Your work hour is over. Get up. Dine with me. And let's go back to Hue castle and stay for the night."

"I have work tomorrow," she mumbled.

I gave her a cocky grin. "So you're willing to come." I planted my bum on the edge of the table.

"Are you asking me out?"

"Call it a date, then!" I replied.

"I have work tomorrow," she repeated.

"Take it off. Simple."

She looked up at me, baffled. "You're such an overweening bastard." She narrowed her gaze at me—as sharp as a scalpel.

I patted her shoulder. "My ever-curious friend," I chuckled. "You can't wait to go back and see what happens next." Bending down, I whispered in her ear. She stiffened at our closeness. "Because you know I'm not lying."

I stood up straight and left the room.