CHAPTER 23

STEVE
20 JUNE 2015

"Steve!" I heard a woman's muffled voice. "Wake up, Steve." I blinked a couple of times, finding DC Khan sitting next to me on the bed. Did I sleep through the whole night? "Wake up, you, sleepyhead." Seeing her look so fresh in the morning was a sight for sore eyes.

"Good morning," I groaned, turning over onto my stomach as I buried my head in the pillow. I still wanted more sleep. At least that way, I didn't have to worry about Myra.

"You have a message, you moron," she exclaimed. "Wake up!"

Her words alerted me. "What?"

"Edward sent you a message," she shrieked. "My God! This is true sorcery. How are we going to prove your innocence in court?" I wasn't even thinking about appearing in court. I knew I would be sent directly to prison for her disappearance.

"Look," she held out the parchment in her hand, in which the King had given her le Roman de la Rose. Upon my question as to why he would send her back, he wrote:

THERE IS DANGER EVERYWHERE.

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PROTECT HER.

"Why does it sound like he is giving up on her?" DC Khan asked.

I flipped the paper back to the drawing, observing the sketch closely. There was no doubt that the King was smitten, and if she had portrayed her true self in front of him—like the chatterbox she was—I was sure the King must have fallen hard. But seeing how Edward had drawn this precise moment from his photographic memory was splendid. I hated to admit it, but I was becoming his admirer.

"If you see things from his point of view, he can't argue or fight with the King, but still wants to protect her," I argued. "That means he is truly looking for ways to send her back."

She read the excitement in my eyes. "Which means your plans for the game and your marriage won't be affected."

I stared at her for a second. Why did she sound displeased? We both liked each other, that was clear, but I hadn't thought about any other woman besides Myra Farrow.

"She would never accept me," I looked away, going through the sheets. "She was already in love with Edward before even meeting him, and if she returned with his rejection and a broken heart, I don't know if I would be able to mend it."

"Would you try to mend it?"

"I don't know," I grumbled.

I stayed like a statue for numerous minutes. What danger was he talking about?

"And look at this new one." She placed another sheet in front of me.

Myra was surrounded by hundreds of children in the Great Hall, Edward's niece sitting on her lap. I turned over the sheet to find a message about this sketch.

THE KING HAS ASSIGNED HER TO BE THE ROYAL TUTOR.

"Blimey!" shrieked DC Khan. "Just a week living there, and she already has a job in the castle?" Huffing, she continued, "We are struggling here to make ends meet with our jobs, and she has a job already? I definitely envy her."

I smiled sadly at her. "The King must have fallen for her literary skills."

"The King doesn't know she is a Lit Grad," DC Khan mumbled. "What now?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. Upon that, her phone started ringing.

"Sir," she said. After a long pause, she answered, "Yes, Sir." She took a deep breath. "I understand, Sir. I will take care of the matter." She hung up the phone.