🏵️ Chapter Thirty-Four : Resurfacing

RESURFACING

RESURFACING

Thursday, April 22nd, 1980

Hyun's Little Jun bookstore was a peaceful place in the heart of Seoul's bustling streets.

Rows upon rows of books adorned the shelves, their spines a rainbow of colours beckoning readers to lose themselves in their pages.

It was late afternoon, and warm sunlight streamed in through the large windows, casting a golden glow across the wooden floors.

Students crowded the cosy corners, some sitting at the few small tables and others lounging on cushions scattered across the floor.

They were completely absorbed in their books, with only the soft rustle of pages turning to break the silence.

Hyun moved quietly among them, organizing books and making recommendations to those seeking his advice.

Just as he was about to settle behind the counter, the doorbell rang, indicating a new visitor.

Hyun looked up, expecting to see another student, but his breath caught in his throat as he recognized the faces of his old friends.

"Jin, Soo, Min-Jae," Hyun exclaimed, his eyes wide with surprise. The three men walked in with expressions of relief and urgency.

"Hyun," Jin said, his voice low and tense. "It's been a while."

Hyun nodded, still processing their sudden appearance. "What are you doing here? I thought... after the explosion at Lorelei, I didn't know if any of you had survived."

Soo stepped forward, his face etched with the scars of their shared past. "We managed to escape. But we lost many friends that day."

Hyun's heart ached at the reminder of the friends they had lost. "I heard about the casualties. It was a devastating blow."

Min-Jae glanced around the bookstore, ensuring no one was eavesdropping. "We need to talk, Hyun. It's not safe here."

Hyun motioned for them to follow him into the back room, where they could speak privately.

As they walked into the small space, Hyun closed the door behind them and turned to face his old team.

"Why now?" Hyun asked, his voice filled with a mix of anger and sorrow. "Why did you disappear without a word?"

Jin sighed heavily. "We didn't have a choice. The authorities were closing in, and we had to lay low. But we couldn't leave you in the dark forever."

"We have been planning," Soo said, his eyes firmly meeting Hyun's. "We need to regroup, to continue what we started. The government hasn't stopped, and neither can we."

Hyun clenched his fists, the memories of their fight flooding back. "And what about the others? What about the ones we lost? Is this really worth the risk?"