Chapter Nine Whispers

Dedicated MajenBeos02Babyalex34Cvstina
_______________________________________________________________________________
_
March 15, 2016, 12:10 pm, Violet's POV

    "You go to these things, like for social hour?" Willow whispers to me, and I quickly press my lips together so I don't burst out laughing.

    "Trust me, I never considered this fun," I whisper back, and Willow smirks.

    "Surely it got a little better once you beat that whore's ass," Willow says nodding in Jess's direction and I take a breath.

    "That is offensive to whores everywhere," I say in a highly serious voice, then my lips tremble as I smile, and Willow bursts out laughing out loud, interrupting Melissa mid-speech. I nudge Willow to quiet her and accidentally let out a giggle myself.

    "Shh." One of the Claims in the German Alliance tells Willow, and I give her a withering look, and she quickly looks away from me. 'Every since I humiliated Leonard, they've started whispering about me. Whispers that were the product of true events but more and more have grossly exaggerated my prowess. Other whispers are from the Russian Alliance, and they are mostly hateful. I can't say that I don't revel in the blows I landed, but I do regret how I did it... because of what happened next.'

    "Anyway, I was saying—" Melissa tries to give input on the Irish's event day: Easter Treasure Hunt, which is twelve days from today. Her input is unneeded, and I can see how annoyed she is making the Leading Irish Claim, Mary, whom Melissa initially cut off.

    "Yeah, we get it," Trixie says, seeing the look I gave Melissa when she tried to get me to stop Willow. 'Melissa thinks she is the leader of the entire Italian Alliance because she is Vico's Claim, Heir to the Italian Alliance. Except she isn't. I have seen him shrug her off on more than three occasions. And he isn't nice about it. He seems extremely disgusted every time she touches him, but she will persist. And the one named Zeus will shove her out of Vico's path, not caring if her butt ends up on the floor from that push. Usually, I would have sympathy, but I can't help thinking that if the roles were reversed, I'd call Melissa a stalker at best and frightening at worst. Not that the big man seems defenseless, but he deserves not to have someone forcing their way into his personal space.'

    "I was just saying—" Melissa repeats, and Trixie rolls her eyes.

    "We don't care." Trixie snaps and looks back at me for reference. I frown at the act but nod my agreement.

    "Didn't she win the March Mud Fight?" Willow whispers, and I nod.

    "Why is she deferring to you?" Willow says, and I shake my head, 'I don't know, but as I became enemy number one to the Russian Alliance, I became the IT girl to the Italian Alliance Claims and then feared by the German Alliance. I am a popular girl, just not in a way I ever wished to be.'

    "Trixie!" Melissa says her eyes are flashing, and Trixie grabs her glass of chardonnay and drinks it, then looks elsewhere, dismissing Melissa. 'Before the fight, I would think Trixie maybe liked Melissa, but now I wonder if that was fake, and now Trixie has a reason to show how much she distastes Melissa openly. Melissa steps down from the stage and gingerly plops into her chair, making a pretty good impression of a petulant toddler as she complains to what minions in the Italian Alliance she has.

    "Well, I think—" Jess Aliu's locker friend says, and without a single thought, I speak up.

   "Did anyone see the swim team lineup?" I question loudly, and everyone stares at me in surprise.