Skipping school - Evan Buckley

Zoe Buckley - 13

Evan Buckley, known to his friends and colleagues as Buck, was just finishing up a particularly grueling shift at Station 118 when his phone rang. He wiped the sweat from his brow, glancing at the caller ID. It was the school. His heart skipped a beat.

"Hello, this is Evan Buckley," he answered, trying to keep his voice steady.

"Mr. Buckley, this is Mrs. Anderson, Zoe's homeroom teacher. I'm calling to discuss some concerns we have about Zoe's attendance."

Buck's stomach tightened. "Concerns? What do you mean?"

"I'm afraid Zoe has been absent several days this month without any explanation. She's also been late to several of her classes. We've tried to contact you before, but we didn't receive any response."

Buck felt a wave of guilt. His hectic schedule had caused him to miss some calls and emails, but he never imagined it would be something this serious. "I'm so sorry, Mrs. Anderson. I wasn't aware of this. Thank you for letting me know. I'll handle it."

"Thank you, Mr. Buckley. We appreciate your attention to this matter."

Buck hung up, his mind racing. Zoe had always been a good student, responsible and diligent. What had changed? He quickly dialed his sister Maddie's number.

"Hey, Buck. Everything okay?" Maddie's voice was warm and familiar.

"No, not really. I just got a call from Zoe's school. She's been skipping classes, Maddie. I don't know what's going on."

Maddie sighed. "Oh, Buck. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you want me to come over and talk to her with you?"

"No, I think I need to handle this on my own. But thanks. I just... I'm not sure what to say to her."

"Just be honest, Buck. Let her know you're concerned and that you're there for her. She's probably dealing with more than you realize."

Buck nodded, even though Maddie couldn't see him. "Thanks, Maddie. I'll call you later."

As Buck drove home, he tried to prepare himself for the conversation ahead. He thought about all the times he had been there for Zoe, all the moments they had shared. He hoped those moments had built enough trust for her to open up to him now.

When he got home, Zoe was sitting on the couch, her face illuminated by the glow of her phone. She looked up as he entered, a flicker of guilt crossing her face.

"Hey, Dad," she said, her voice tentative.

"Hey, Zoe," Buck replied, trying to keep his tone even. "We need to talk."

Zoe's eyes widened slightly, but she nodded and put her phone down. "Okay."

Buck sat down across from her, taking a deep breath. "I got a call from your school today. They said you've been skipping classes."

Zoe looked down at her hands, her shoulders slumping. "I... I didn't want you to find out like this."

"Then how did you want me to find out?" Buck's voice was sharper than he intended, and he softened it immediately. "Zoe, what's going on? This isn't like you."

Zoe's eyes welled up with tears, but she kept her gaze averted. "I'm sorry, Dad. I know it's wrong."

"You know it's wrong, but you did it anyway," Buck said, frustration evident in his voice. "Skipping school is serious, Zoe. There are consequences for this kind of behavior."

Zoe's tears spilled over, and she nodded miserably. "I know. I'm sorry."

Buck sighed, running a hand through his hair. "You're grounded, Zoe. No phone, no friends, no going out until we figure this out. Go to your room and think about what you've done."

Zoe stood up, her face crumpling as she ran to her room. Buck watched her go, feeling a mix of anger, disappointment, and a deep-seated worry. He knew there had to be more to the story, but she wasn't opening up. He decided to give her some time before trying to talk to her again.

### Later That Evening

After a few hours, Buck couldn't stand it anymore. The house was too quiet, and the image of Zoe's tear-streaked face haunted him. He knocked softly on her door before entering. Zoe was lying on her bed, her back to the door, still quietly crying.

"Zoe, can we talk?" Buck asked gently.

Zoe sniffled and turned to face him, her eyes red and puffy. "I'm sorry, Dad," she repeated, her voice cracking.

Buck sat down on the edge of the bed. "I know you're sorry, but I need to understand why you did it. Please talk to me, Zoe."

Zoe hesitated, then took a deep breath. "It's my friends. They've been pressuring me to skip school with them. They said if I didn't, they wouldn't be my friends anymore."

Buck's heart sank. "Your friends? Zoe, real friends don't make you do things that are bad for you. They support you, not pressure you into making bad choices."

"I know," Zoe whispered, her voice cracking. "But I didn't want to be alone."

Buck sighed, pulling her closer. "I understand, sweetheart. It's hard to stand up to that kind of pressure. But you have to remember that you're stronger than you think. And you're not alone. You have me, Maddie, and your friends at the station."

Zoe nodded, wiping her tears. "I'm really sorry, Dad."

"I know you are. And we're going to fix this. We'll talk to your teachers, get you caught up on your work, and maybe even find some new friends who respect you for who you are."

Zoe managed a small smile. "Okay, Dad. I promise I won't skip school anymore."

"That's my girl," Buck said, relief flooding through him. "Now, let's get some dinner and talk more about how we're going to tackle this."

They spent the evening planning and talking, Buck listening as Zoe opened up about the pressures she was feeling. By the time they were done, they had a plan in place to meet with her teachers and find ways to manage her workload better. More importantly, Zoe knew she wasn't alone.

### The Next Day

The following morning, Buck walked Zoe to school, determined to show her that he was there for her every step of the way. As they approached the school gates, Zoe squeezed his hand.

"Thanks, Dad. For everything."

Buck smiled down at her. "Always, Zoe. Always."

As she walked through the gates, Buck felt a sense of pride and determination. They had a long road ahead, but together, they could face anything. He watched as she joined a group of classmates who greeted her warmly. It wasn't the same group she had been with before, and Buck felt a flicker of hope. Perhaps this was the start of a new beginning for Zoe, one where she could find friends who truly valued her.

Later that day, Buck arranged a meeting with Mrs. Anderson and a few other teachers to discuss Zoe's situation. They were supportive and offered several options to help her catch up on her missed work. They also suggested a counselor who could help Zoe manage the pressures she was feeling.

When Buck returned home that evening, Zoe was already there, sitting at the kitchen table with her books spread out in front of her. She looked up as he entered, a shy smile on her face.

"How was your day?" Buck asked, setting his keys down.

"It was good," Zoe replied. "I talked to Mrs. Anderson after school. She's going to help me with my math test."

"That's great, Zoe. I'm proud of you for taking the first step."

Zoe nodded, her eyes brightening. "Thanks, Dad. I'm going to do better. I promise."

Buck hugged her tightly, feeling a weight lift from his shoulders. They had faced a difficult challenge, but together, they had found a way through it. And in that moment, Buck knew that no matter what obstacles lay ahead, they could overcome them as long as they faced them together.