Diagnosed- Eddie Diaz

Sofia Diaz - 5

Eddie Diaz stood outside the office door, his heart racing. His five-year-old daughter, Sofia, clung to his hand, her small fingers gripping tightly. Sofia had always been a quiet, introspective child, but lately, Eddie had noticed more behaviors that concerned him. Today, they were finally going to see Dr. Marshall, a child psychologist who specialized in autism spectrum disorders.

"Mr. Diaz, Sofia, you can come in now," Dr. Marshall called, her voice warm and inviting. Eddie guided Sofia into the office, helping her into one of the chairs before taking a seat himself.

Dr. Marshall smiled, her eyes gentle. "Thank you for coming in. Sofia, how are you feeling today?"

Sofia didn't respond, her eyes fixated on a colorful mobile hanging from the ceiling. Eddie gave her a reassuring pat before turning to Dr. Marshall. "She's a bit nervous," he explained.

"That's completely understandable," Dr. Marshall said. She leaned forward slightly, her attention now fully on Eddie. "Mr. Diaz, I'd like to start by hearing from you. What concerns have you noticed with Sofia?"

Eddie took a deep breath. "Sofia is a wonderful kid. She's smart and has an incredible memory. But... she's different. She doesn't talk much, and when she does, it's usually about things she's really interested in, like dinosaurs or space. She has trouble making friends and gets really upset by loud noises or changes in routine. Lately, she's been flapping her hands when she's excited or overwhelmed."

Dr. Marshall nodded, taking notes. "I see. How has she been doing at preschool?"

Eddie sighed. "Not great. The teachers say she doesn't interact much with the other kids. She prefers to play alone, and she has meltdowns if something unexpected happens. They suggested we get her evaluated."

"Thank you for sharing that, Mr. Diaz," Dr. Marshall said. She turned her attention to Sofia, who was still mesmerized by the mobile. "Sofia, can you tell me about the mobile? What do you see?"

Sofia's eyes lit up. "Stars and planets," she said softly. "That one is Saturn. It has rings."

Dr. Marshall smiled. "You're right. Do you like space?"

Sofia nodded vigorously, a small smile playing on her lips.

Dr. Marshall looked back at Eddie. "I'd like to do a few activities with Sofia, if that's okay with you."

Eddie nodded. "Of course."

Over the next hour, Dr. Marshall guided Sofia through a series of tasks and observations. She asked Sofia to complete puzzles, identify pictures, and engage in simple social interactions. Eddie watched anxiously, hoping for some clarity.

Finally, Dr. Marshall sat back in her chair, her expression thoughtful. "Mr. Diaz, based on my observations and what you've described, I believe Sofia is on the autism spectrum. She exhibits many of the behaviors and characteristics associated with autism, such as difficulty with social interactions, a strong preference for routines, and repetitive behaviors like hand-flapping."

Eddie felt a mix of emotions—relief at having an answer, but also a deep concern for what this meant for Sofia's future. "What happens now?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Now we work on creating a plan to support Sofia," Dr. Marshall explained. "There are many resources and therapies that can help her develop her social skills, manage sensory sensitivities, and navigate her world more comfortably. Early intervention is key."

Eddie nodded, taking it all in. "What can I do to help her?"

Dr. Marshall smiled kindly. "The most important thing is to love and support her, just as you've been doing. Be patient and understanding. We'll connect you with speech therapists, occupational therapists, and special education resources. With the right support, Sofia can thrive."