Injuried on the job - Evan Buckley

Lacey Buckley - 9

Evan Buckley's nine-year-old daughter, Lacey, stood on the school steps, her backpack hanging loosely off her small shoulders. She glanced at her watch for the hundredth time, the minute hand ticking away the seconds of waiting. Her dad, who was supposed to pick her up after his shift, was nowhere to be seen. The crowd of students and parents thinned, and soon, she was the only one left.

As the sun began to set, casting long shadows across the empty schoolyard, Lacey's worry turned into fear. She shivered, not from the cold, but from the uncertainty. Where was her dad?

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, she saw Eddie Diaz's familiar truck pull up. Eddie stepped out, looking disheveled and weary, his eyes red as if he'd been crying. Lacey's heart skipped a beat. Eddie was always so strong and composed. Seeing him like this made her stomach churn.

"Uncle Eddie?" she called out, her voice trembling.

Eddie approached her with a forced smile, his eyes betraying the emotions he was trying to hide. "Hey, Lacey. Sorry I'm late. Let's get you home, okay?"

"Where's Dad?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper. She searched Eddie's face for answers, but he avoided her gaze.

"We'll talk about it when we get back to your house," Eddie said softly, guiding her into the truck.

The drive home was filled with an uneasy silence. Lacey's mind raced with possibilities, each more terrifying than the last. When they finally arrived, Eddie helped her out of the truck and into the house. He led her to the sofa and sat down beside her, taking a deep breath.

"Lacey, something happened at work today," Eddie began, his voice steady but filled with sorrow. "Your dad was hurt. He was shot."

Lacey's eyes widened, and her lower lip quivered. "Is he...is he going to be okay?"

Eddie pulled her into a gentle hug, feeling her small frame shake with sobs. "The doctors are doing everything they can. We'll go see him tomorrow, okay? They're working on him today."

Lacey cried into Eddie's chest, her tears soaking his shirt. "I want to see him now," she pleaded.

"I know, sweetheart," Eddie whispered, stroking her hair. "I know."

After gathering some clothes and essentials for Lacey, Eddie took her to his home. He knew he needed to take care of her and Christopher, but his heart ached for Buck and the uncertainty of his condition.

That night, Lacey couldn't sleep. She lay awake, clutching her dad's jacket that Eddie had brought with them. Eddie noticed her distress and decided to call Maddie, Buck's sister, who was at the hospital.

"Maddie, it's Eddie. Lacey's having a hard time. Can you talk to her for a bit?" Eddie asked, his voice low and urgent.

Maddie's voice came through the phone, gentle and reassuring. "Of course, put her on."

Lacey took the phone, her hands shaking. "Aunt Maddie?"

"Hey, Lacey. I'm here at the hospital with your dad. The doctors are taking good care of him," Maddie said softly.

"Is he going to be okay?" Lacey asked, her voice breaking.

"He's strong, Lacey. Just like you. We have to believe in him, okay?" Maddie replied, her voice filled with hope and determination.

After talking to Maddie, Lacey felt a little better, but she still couldn't bring herself to sleep in the spare room. She stayed on the sofa with Eddie, who wrapped a blanket around her and held her close. "I'm here, Lacey. We'll get through this together," he promised.

The next morning, Eddie drove Lacey to the hospital. As they walked through the sterile hallways, Lacey's heart pounded in her chest. The first person she saw was Maddie, who immediately hugged her tightly. "You're so brave, Lacey," she whispered.

Lacey nodded, her eyes scanning the room for any sign of her dad's friends. The rest of the 118 were there, their faces somber but supportive. They gave her reassuring smiles and gentle pats on the back as she passed by.

When they reached Buck's room, Lacey hesitated at the door. Eddie gave her a comforting squeeze on the shoulder. "You're ready, Lacey. We'll go in together."

Taking a deep breath, Lacey stepped into the room. Her eyes widened when she saw her dad lying on the bed, hooked up to machines, including a breathing apparatus. He looked so still, so unlike the vibrant and strong man she knew.

"Daddy," she whispered, her voice cracking as tears filled her eyes.

Eddie knelt beside her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "He's fighting, Lacey. He's fighting to come back to us."

Lacey moved closer to the bed, reaching out to hold her dad's hand. It felt warm, but seeing him like this made her heart ache. "Please, wake up, Daddy. I need you," she sobbed, her tears falling onto the bedsheets.

Eddie's eyes filled with tears as he watched Lacey. He wished he could take away her pain, but all he could do was be there for her, holding her close and offering what comfort he could.

The rest of the day passed in a blur of emotions and quiet conversations. Lacey didn't move, she refused to. Lacey stayed by her dad's side, holding his hand and talking to him about anything and everything, hoping he could hear her.

***

That night, Eddie took Lacey back to his house. It took him awhile to convince her to leave her dads side. She was emotionally exhausted but still too anxious to sleep. Eddie made sure she was comfortable on the sofa, wrapping her in a warm blanket and staying by her side.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Eddie asked gently.

Lacey shook her head. "I just want Daddy to be okay."

"I know, Lacey. We all do," Eddie said, his voice soft but firm. "He's strong, and he's got all of us here for him."

Lacey nodded, snuggling closer to Eddie. "Thank you for being here, Uncle Eddie."

Eddie kissed the top of her head. "Always, Lacey. I'm not going anywhere."

***

The following morning, Eddie took Lacey back to the hospital. She was greeted by the familiar faces of the 118, who offered her encouragement and support. Maddie hugged her tightly before they made their way to Buck's room.

This time, Buck looked a little better. The doctors had managed to stabilize him, and he no longer needed the breathing machine. Lacey's heart lifted slightly at the sight.

"Hi, Daddy," she said softly, taking his hand again. "I'm here."

Buck's eyelids fluttered, and he managed to open them just a crack. He squeezed Lacey's hand weakly, and she felt a surge of hope.

"Daddy, I love you," Lacey whispered, tears of relief streaming down her face.

Buck's lips moved, though no sound came out. But Lacey understood. He was trying to tell her he loved her too.

***

Over the next few days, Buck's condition continued to improve. Lacey spent as much time as she could by his side, talking to him and holding his hand. Eddie and Maddie were always there, offering their support and comfort.

One evening, as they sat together in Buck's room, Lacey looked up at Eddie with a small smile. "Daddy's going to be okay, isn't he?"

Eddie nodded, his eyes filled with tears of relief. "Yeah, Lacey. He's going to be okay."

Lacey hugged him tightly, feeling a weight lift off her shoulders. "Thank you, Uncle Eddie. For everything."

Eddie hugged her back, his heart full of love and gratitude. "You're welcome, Lacey. We're all in this together."

As they watched Buck slowly regain his strength, Lacey knew that their family was stronger than ever. No matter what challenges they faced, they would always have each other. And that was enough.