Chapter 20 - Coffee? Tea? No. Me, Alpha!

Devon POV

Present Day

Being a creature of habit, my normal routine is to go to the office early each morning. This morning is no different as I have a lot of work to catch up on. It has been a week since my family has come to join me. We have spent a lot of time together getting to know each other, but Amaris has yet to let me get close enough to attempt another kiss.

Also, Jeni is still hanging around and tends to show up at the most inopportune times. As soon as Jeni shows up, Amaris becomes unreasonable and leaves, taking Devi with her. I am at a loss as to how to remedy the problem. Jeni is my life-long childhood friend. Yes there was a tiny blip three years ago, but that is over. Jeni will always be my friend and thus a part of my life. Jeni says that all she wants is to be friends with Amaris, but Amaris won't even consider it.

My office door opens, so I shuffle my papers together for privacy. I don't know why people don't knock. Jeni sticks her head around the door. "Ah! I thought you'd be here. You like to start work early." She crooned. "I brought your favorite tea. It's actually a new blend, but I hope you'll like it." She sets the mug in front of me. "Honey and cream, just like you like." She begins humming.

"Oh. Thanks." I grin up at her. Taking a deep drink. "Mmmm. I do like it. What is different?"

"Just a few herbs, some extra mint and a dash of cinnamon."

"Yeah. I can taste the cinnamon." I take another deep drink.

"What are you humming?" I ask.

"Just a cute little Doris Day song about tea." She giggles.

"Sing it," I prod.

"Picture you upon my knee

Just tea for two and two for tea

Me for you and you for me alone.

Oh, we will raise a family

A boy for you, a girl for me

Oh, can't you see

How happy we would be?"

"Just a silly song running around in my head today. Go ahead and finish off the tea while it's still warm and I'll take the mug back to the kitchen." She encourages.

Okay, odd song. But the tea really is a good blend and in no time, I have drained the mug. "Thanks. That hit the spot. I'll walk the mug down to the kitchen myself. It is time to meet Amaris for breakfast."

As I walk in the kitchen, I spy Amaris and Devi already sitting at the table with food. Trish and my mother are sitting with them. I fill a plate and slide in beside Amaris. "Hey Beautiful. How are you and my princess today?" I lean over and press a kiss to her temple. She doesn't push me away, but simply gives me the side eye. Over the past couple of days, we haven't had the opportunity to talk alone, but we are bonding over Devi. I lean over to Devi and pepper her face with kisses. She giggles.

"What are your plans for today?"

"Well, as we discussed, I'd like to volunteer in the clinic today. I gave you and Dr. Gibson copies of all my certifications and licenses, when we met yesterday." She breezes. "So I am taking his place today, while he takes the day off with his mate."

"Oh yeah. Dr. Gibson hasn't had a day off since we lost our other healer. It's been months. I am glad you can give him this opportunity. I guess you and Trish have the kiddo today?" I address my mother.

She nods. "Yes. We are going to have a lot of fun today." She claps her hands and sing songs to Devi. "Aren't we, GiGi's baby girl?"

Devi claps her hands back to GiGi and giggles.