Chapter 32 - Death Warrant

Devon

The rest of the weekend was spent in family bliss. Amaris and I didn't spend any more time alone, because I didn't want to push her. We made leaps of progress in my opinion. I left last night, so I could go to the prison and confront my demons and put them to bed. Just one more way to prove Amaris is top priority in my life.

I got up this morning and left the motel where I had stayed last night. My bags are packed and loaded in the SUV, as are Hill and Fillion's. I will be headed right back to Amaris and Devi straight after this meeting.

First stop is security so I can question Sheila and get closure with Jeni. Hill and Fillion are going to go to the evidence room and copy some things we will need for this meeting in about an hour.

I enter the prison cell. One of the enforcers I know is on duty. "Hey man." He greets me. "I'm glad you're here. Can you stay with the prisoners while I go use the bathroom and get a soft drink from the break room? One of the enforcers called in last night and I haven't had a break, yet."

"Sure. I can do that. Go ahead." I reply.

After he leaves, I look through the windows of the cells until I find her. She sees me in the window and her face lights up. Mine devolves into pure anger and hatred for all she has cost me. I press the button below the window to speak to her. "Jeni, I am here for closure." Her eyes widen. "I know that you manipulated me, drugged me and even placed spells on me to interfere with my mate bond. I want you to know I despise you." She flinches at that last sentence.

"Devon," She pushes the button on her side. "I have only and always just loved you, with everything in me."

"You are a sick person. Your manipulation caused me to leave Amaris. It's on me too, I know. I should have been stronger. I should not have put you first. I realize now that I did that. It tortures me to my soul that I did that." I choke out. "That treachery cost me my mate and my son. When I left her, she actually was pregnant, while yours was a lie. Because she was alone, the stress caused her to lose my son. My son died." I spat. "Were you aware of that?"

"No. No, no, no! Devon. I didn't know. How could I?"

"I don't know if I believe you. Everything that comes out of your mouth is lies that destroy. You don't love me. You just want to win."

"I just want you, Devon!" She screams, falling to the floor sobbing.

"In the course of all these meetings, I learned you rejected your mate at that meet and greet where I met mine. That just before you came to lie to me and tell me you were pregnant with my pup, you rejected the Alpha Commander, Beck Kason. Are you stupid. Your blessed mate was the highest Alpha."

"I only ever wanted you, Devon." She wails, but I can't hear her, only see her lips move as she continues to writhe on the floor.

"Lies, lies, lies, Jeni! I never want to see you again after this is all over. I hate you because of what you and my stupidity cost me." I am breathing hard.

"Tell her if she ever interferes with our relationship with Amaris again, or messes with her or our pup, I will kill her." Rue growls.

"Rue wants me to tell you that you are dead if you ever interfere with our relationship with Amaris again or mess with her or our pup, he will kill you and I won't stop it." Her sobs increase in volume.

Enforcer Julian Reems enters and I look up. I feel acid running through my veins with my anger. I am barely controlling Rue.

"Are you okay, Devon?" Julian asks. "Where are my enforcers?"