Chapter 31 - Rue's Vow

Devon

I really want this weekend to be special. I know Amaris is pretty much done with our relationship, but I think I finally understand what went wrong. No excuses, I know I screwed up the best thing I ever had and I will always put her first from now on, regardless of  my place in her life.  Whether I am her partner or just her baby daddy.  She and Devi will always be first.

First thing this morning, I am preparing Amaris breakfast. I will make enough for everyone, but I hope Devi and I can slip Amaris's breakfast to her in bed. She does so much for so many with little thanks. She is an amazing woman. I know that Amaris loves pancakes. I pumped her friends, so I know all her favorites. So I prepare bacon, eggs, pancakes, and hash browns. I even make a mickey mouse shaped pancake for Devi. I load up a tray with Amaris and Devi's breakfast.

I sneak into Devi's room and attack her. "Devi! Tickle monster is going to get you." I dive into her stomach tickling.

She shrieks! "Daddy. No. No Tickle Monster." And cackles. Tossing and turning, trying to get away. "Daddy! Daddy!"

I pause to let her catch her breath. "Yes, Devi?"

"Tickle Monster get you!" She screams and jumps on top of me tickling. I hold her down and blow raspberries on her stomach to her delight.

"Devi. Daddy made breakfast." I comb her hair out of her face. Would you like to help me take it to mommy in bed and eat breakfast with her there?"

"Yeah!" She nods excitedly. I help her out of bed and we go to the kitchen to collect the tray. We sneak up to Amaris's room. Juggling the tray, I tap softly.

I hear a sleepy Amaris call, "Come in."

As we open the door, Devi jumps on the bed and yells, "Supise momma!"

Amaris swipes her hair out of her eyes and smiles sleepily at Devi. "Oh my goddess, Devi. Did you cook breakfast for me?"

"Uh huh." Devi replies. "Me and daddy!"

Sitting up, Amaris reaches for the tray. "No." I say. "Sit back and I will place it in your lap."

"Thank you, guys." She says, rubbing noses with Devi. "I am so hungry. Oooh. Orange Juice." She takes a big drink from her glass. "Looks like Devi's got some breakfast here too." I sit down on the edge of the bed and help Devi get settled so she can eat with her momma.

While Amaris enjoys her breakfast, I pull Devi into my lap to help her stay on task. Holding her juice cup or helping her spear a pancake bite. "Mickey mouse, daddy." She beams at her pancake.

"Oh, that's so cute, Devon." Amaris admires my simple pancake artwork.

"Mom used to make them for me." I shrug. "It's a breakfast tradition." She smiles happily.

It doesn't take long for my girls to fill their bellies. Once done, I grab the tray that has been thoroughly emptied of food. Come on Devi, let's get grandma a tray to her while mommy gets ready. I am happy to note that I have not seen Amaris smile so much in a long time. A warmth settles in my core and Rue is doing somersaults.

Devi and I take the tray back to the kitchen. She jabbers the entire way about mickey mouse pancakes, mommy and daddy. It is with great contentment that I listen and respond.

I put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher and wipe the tray clean. While the tray is drying, I load up some breakfast for Minette on a plate and pop it in the microwave. Placing a fresh glass of orange juice on the tray, I add the heated food to the tray. Devi, who has not stopped talking yet, accompanies me to Minette's suite.