Chapter 23 - The Attack

Amaris POV

After Jeni's attack in the clinic, I dragged myself to my room and passed out, sleeping for nearly 24 hours on and off. I slept straight through until the next night. The moon is absent tonight, so no light filters through the darkness from the window. Stretching out on my muscles before getting out of bed, I shift to the right. I'm stiff, sore and the wounds on my chest pull uncomfortably. Coming up to a sitting position, I dangle my feet off the side of the bed.

"Well, well, well. Sleeping beauty is finally awake." A high menacing voice comes from the shadows.

I shoot to a standing position. "What the-Who's there?" I can make out a faint silhouette and a glimmer of steel in the darkness.

"Who do you think it is?" Cooed the voice drawing closer. I shift to make my way to the door as Jeni's face emerges from the blackness. "You don't think I would work this hard and this long only to give up now, do you? Devon is mine!" She shrieks as she lunges a bloody knife toward my chest. I dodge right and call on Zoe for help, but I can't feel her. Had she laced her claws with wolfsbane when she sliced me open yesterday?

I look around for anything that I can use to defend myself with, but there is nothing. She throws her head back and laughs. "There's no weapons here Amaris. No protection. No wolf." Her smile stretches uncannily wide. "I love to play games, Amaris. Did Devon ever tell you I love to play games? Well, he probably doesn't know how much I love to play games. I played him so well. UNTIL YOU CAME ALONG!" She shouts. "It's okay, though. Devon and I will enjoy our games for many years to come. When you are dead."

"If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author for free, go to Wattpad/Mellie_readsnwrites."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

"Did Devon not tell you?" I gasp, "I rejected him. I don't want him. You can have him." My chest rises and falls rapidly, trying to catch my breath. "He is all yours."

"I know he is all mine." She states blithely. "However, we must cut all ties and that mate bond has to go." Her voice ticks up in a playful manner as she emphasizes the word cut. "With you gone, Rue will accept me. Devon already has you know. He made love to me before you came into the picture." I don't offer any commentary on that, as Devon told me about the disaster that was the one time between them.

"You don't have to get rid of me." I begged. "I know he cares for you and doesn't care for me. He always chooses you.

"He does, doesn't he." She seemed almost placated. "But Rue doesn't. I have to take care of that."

"No. No you don't." I pleaded. "We can all work this out. There is no reason why I have to die. Many wolves live happy lives with chosen mates."

Losing interest in what I have to say, she waved her hand and sang, "Let's you and I play a game. Do you know why my blade is already bloody?" She holds the bloody blade out and chuckles.

Horror etches across my face as I feel myself shatter. She's already killed someone. "Devi!" I scream as I lunge at the door. I feel a flaming jolt as the blade impales me in the back and drop to the floor.

Taking advantage of the injury she has inflicted, she jumps on me. We roll and the blade is thrust sideways and mercifully is released from my ravaged muscle. The pain incapacitates me for a moment, but I buck and drive my foot into her nose. Her head whips back, throwing her off me. I lunge for the knife and stand. Knife in hand.

We are toe to toe when she grabs my wrists. Goddess, she is powerful. As we struggle, she seizes and pulls my fingers back to release the weapon. But she doesn't stop there. Once the knife falls from my limp hand, she continues pulling back until my fingers begin to snap one after another. One of my fingers slips from her grasp unbroken, but it rips the nail off the bed in the process. "Oh goddess!" I wail with pain as I realize I may not be coming out of this alive.

"I told you I love games, Amaris." She is gloating as she continues her tortuous rampage. I smell copper as blood is pouring from my wounds, my fingers mangled. "But don't worry, Devi is okay." She seethes, slicing the blade across my face diagonally, barely missing my eye. "And when you are gone, I will be a good mother to her. I promise." She turns the doe-eyed look on me and breaks into laughter.

Another high voice speaks from the shadows. "Just like your mother. Always getting in the way." Luna Quinn's form emerges. "Jeni can take care of you just like I took care of your mother. That's her blood on that blade and yours should have been on it already. You were not supposed to survive the night of your birth. We will remedy that now." Her laughter joins that of her daughter.

All I hear is that laughter as Jeni plunges the knife in my heart.