Chapter 25 - A Waking Vision

Amaris

When Alpha Quinn told me my mentally impaired mother was on the way, I immediately began to make plans. As soon as my mother arrived, I was going to take over her care and dismiss her nurses. I had already insisted they send me a copy of her medical file. I have it in hand and am currently studying it. It isn't a lengthy file. She is in good physical health. It is only her mental health that was affected. I reviewed diagnoses along with her list of medications prescribed for each. It is an odd mix of mainstream medications, and handmade herbal blends. Not unlike I would prescribe, but since wolf shifter biology is so robust, it feels excessive. I note that the alchemist for the handmade herbals is Luna Quinn. Surprised, I look closer and find Luna Quinn is her healer, all the way back to the beginning of the file. I had not been aware Luna Quinn is a healer.

Within the files, I find the record of my birth. The healer on duty was signed, Garnet Wolfsong, now known as Luna Garnet Quinn. At that time, she had been mated to my mother's brother. I touch the page and my head falls back. Sharp pain pierces my head, while shocks course through my body. I feel as though I am being wrenched across space and time. Immediately, I am drawn into a childbirth scene. It is night and we are in a bedroom.  A female is screaming. I blink my eyes and I hear a pup wailing. Large hands reach for me. I am that pup, being pulled from my mother's womb.  The female lays exhausted on a blood covered bed. Her breathing is erratic. She softly sobs. Finally relieved of her travails.

I am bundled up in a soft blanket and laid on the female's chest. "Welcome little one." She shakily coos. "I am your momma." I blink at her beautiful face, so much like my own. Her long, black hair is sweaty and mussed. Her soft green eyes glaze over with a sheen of tears. I reach for her and my hand snags on the amulet at her throat. Someone takes me from her arms, as the amulet slips beneath my blankets. "No." She pants. "Please Garnet, let me hold her a while longer."

"You are weak Minette. Lay back and rest." Garnet roughly pushes my mother back on the bed. Weakly, she obeys. Turning, Garnet tucks me in a bassinet at the foot of the bed and administers two drops from a vial to each of my eyes.  It burns, so I shriek.  "Shush now.  That will help you sleep and disguise your scent while we get rid of you, little intruder." She whispers to me gleefully and turns back to my mother. "Now Minette, lets give you something to help you rest." Raising a syringe to her neck, she injects my mother with a swirling colorful substance.

I am no longer a participant in the scene, but now I am a watcher. As Minette weakly succumbs to the chemicals now in her system, Garnet turns to a very young female in the room. "She will sleep for hours and when she awakes, her mind won't be the same." She laughs. "However, the effects will only be temporary, so I will need to keep dosing her over time. Now, take that filthy pup out to your mate, little sister. Tell him to kill it and leave no trace."

"Garnet, please. Do we have to kill the pup?"  

"Do as I say, or you and your mate will be next." Garnet threatens. "I will be Luna again soon and I will have all the power. Take the pup out and bring back some fresh water."  

"Yes, Garnet." The very young female trembles as she reaches into the bassinet, taking the now limp pup in her arms and leaves.

Outside, the girl hands the pup off to a male. "I know Garnet said to kill her, but please don't hurt her." She pleads. "Just take her far away. Save her life." He nods, kissing the female's cheek and begins to run into the dead of night.

Shouting is heard behind me in the house. I turn toward the ensuing chaos. "Where is my pup?" A young Alpha Quinn roars at Garnet. Tearing at the bassinet and tossing blankets.

"I don't know, Lange." She fakes concern. "She was just here a minute ago. I laid her in the bassinet and turned to care for Minette. She had such a hard labor. I sent Vinia for fresh water to bathe her. There she is now."