Chapter 27 - Compromise

Amaris

"Mom," Goddess, that sounds strange saying "mom". "I have everything packed and ready to go. I just need to go talk to Devon before we leave."  She continues to start out the huge floor to ceiling windows.  "Luna Wright, are you still okay to stay with mom and Devi for a little longer?"

"Take as long as you need, Amaris.  We will be just fine."  She waves me off.

I leave the suite and take the few short steps to Devon's office. As I knock, the door immediately opens and Devon's beta steps out. "Lu-Amaris." he nods as he walks off.

I glance inside where Devon is sitting at his desk. He doesn't look so good. "Are you taking the medication that I prescribed you?"

He lifts the bottle from his top drawer and unhappily shakes it. "Yes. I wish things were that I didn't need these."

"It gets better over time. Just think of them as a supplement to your diet." I shrugged. "Keeps you healthy. Besides, there will be a time when you no longer need them."

He rakes a hand down his face and blows out a lungful of air. "Yep." The "p" popping.

"Anyway, I wanted to hash out a few things before I leave." I continue hurriedly.  Devon nods. "I know you were able to spend most of this morning with Devi. I hope you enjoyed your hike and swim."

"We had a good time. I wish you had come with us, Amaris." His eyes pleading.

"Devon," I shake my head. "We've had this conversation. I don't know why you think things are different. I hate to remind you that it doesn't feel like I am your choice, when the only reason Jeni lost is because she's now incarcerated."

"I don't know why you feel this way." His hand grips the desk so hard a chunk breaks off. "She never felt like more than a friend."

"And there's the problem. I love myself too much to be your second choice.  Until you admit it to yourself that you did choose her over me; and find out why there was so strong of a connection with her, that you could not choose your true mate first, we have nothing to talk about." I push. "I can't answer that question for you, Devon.  You need to find that out on your own. I don't need to remind you any further of why I say that, do I?"

He shakes his head and slumps back in his chair.  Confusion written all over his face.

"Anyway, I didn't come here to rehash this old news. I came here to follow up with you because for the first time in two years, I feel like we have made a tiny connection, like you are on my side." I continue. "I have mom's medical records. I have added the results of the tests and scans I conducted. I want to share those results with you."

"Mom's blood toxicology report tested high for wolfsbane, of course. That seems to be the go to for mate bond tampering, since wolves have a high tolerance to most substances and a good immune system. It is hard to make a shifter sick." I state. "Besides Rowan or Mountain Ash, there were a few other synthetic blends present in the analysis that I wasn't familiar with. I need to study those carefully and identify them."

"All mom's scans other than the blood report came back clean. Surprisingly, her brain chemistry seems healthy and intact, despite being subjected to these poisons for over two decades. I am hopeful that she can make a near full recovery."

"I further analyzed her medications that were personally handed over to me by Luna Quinn. As I suspected, most of her medications were suppressants or had side effects that caused susceptibility to mind control. The handmade compounds do contain the synthetic blends that I mentioned earlier."

"When you get those analyzed, forward me the results." Devon requests. "Just to keep you updated, Luna Quinn, despite Alpha Quinn's protests, is still under house arrest. I am close to placing him under house arrest, because he is livid and almost uncontrollable.  If he keeps it up, he may land himself in a cell for everyone's protection. Of course, we have not divulged anything to him as of yet."