Little maid

Marina remained silent until the noble's carriage departed, leaving the family in utter surprise.

Mr Park: My dear daughter, why didn't you inform me that you were acquainted with the Duke's daughter?

Mr. Park inquired, as the woman on the bed coughed up blood, causing concern.

Mr Park: At last, we can address your mother's medical condition. The situation will improve from this point forward.
He reassured, tending to his wife.

Max, still trying to comprehend the situation, exclaimed,
Max: What do you mean by stating that everything will improve?

Mr Park: The young lady, being the sole offspring of the Duke, requested that Marina accompany her.

Marina: So, the Duke came all the way here to purchase me
She realized, understanding the situation

Max: What purchase?

Mr Park: Son, your sister has been offered a rare opportunity to work as a maid for the young lady residing in the Duke's mansion. This chance is considered highly fortunate coming as a relief after our long period of hardship.

He explained, trying to make sense of the unexpected turn of events.

As the sky darkened and the sounds of insects near the river created a melodic backdrop, Max sat by the riverbank, staring at the dark sky. Marina quietly joined him.

Max: Why did you have to befriend that lady?
He asked, his voice tinged with sorrow.

Marina: I encountered her at the village festival a month ago. She chose to befriend me. I did not have any compelling reason to refuse her friendship.
Marina replied calmly, unfazed by the situation.

Max: Are you leaving?
He asked, finding it hard to imagine life without his little sister.

Marina: Father has already sold me for 100 silver coins. The carriage will arrive tomorrow

Marina revealed, a tear rolling down Max's cheek. He held Marina's hand gently, asking,
Max: Are you really leaving?

Marina: By sacrificing me, Mother's illness will be treated, Father can purchase land, and our family's circumstances will be bettered. Is this not a positive outcome?
Marina rationalized, using the word 'sacrifice' that sent chills down Max's spine.

Max: Is it a sin to be born into a poor family? This situation is cruel.
Max lamented, cursing their fate and realizing the harsh reality of the world where power and status held utmost importance.

Marina: Brother, keep in mind that without power and strength, people will continually take advantage of you. You must grow strong and strive to live the life you desire.

Marina advised, prompting Max to promise to become strong and protect her in the future.

Marina smiled at her brother as they spent the night chatting and giggling, gazing at the peaceful scenery before them.

As the carriage moved forward, Marina leaned back, gazing at the floral prints on the carriage's ceiling, sighing as she closed her eyes.

Marina: Whether in my past life or in the present, my destiny seems to revolve around being sold and serving the wealthy.

As the carriage journeyed on, Marina took a brief nap, interrupted as they arrived at the noble's mansion. The young girl, just six years old, found herself in an unfamiliar place, ready to work as a maid.

Despite her humble beginnings, Marina's sharp wit and quick learning abilities impressed everyone in the mansion, especially the fickle-minded Lady Siya.

Marina's loyalty and direct manner endeared her to Lady Siya, becoming her only loyal and beloved friend.

However, life took a turn when Marina encountered the Emperor of the Northern Kingdom, signaling a significant change in the lowly maid's life.