Humans and Trust

Things started to come to a new normal as the days turned to weeks. Avery, more often than not, worked as she always had and returned home in time for dinner. While Papyrus and Gaster were more than happy to talk to her, Sans continued to make no effort. Avery wasn't going to push it either. Gaster was worried about it, but he trusted Avery to know what was happening. "Sans, Papyrus. How was your boys' day?" Gaster asked after hearing Avery's. "it was pretty eventful -"
"I AM TRYING TO CAPTURE A HUMAN THAT FELL INTO THE UNDERGROUND!!!" Papyrus blurted out excitedly. Avery looked a little surprised. They were back, huh? Well... she supposed that now was the time to find out how different this timeline would be, what 'core events' would stay, and what ones changed. "A human fell into the Underground-?" Gaster looked to Avery and the boys. "Do you... is it a good human? I don't want anyone hurt..." No doubt the war was coming to mind, and she patted his hand. "It'll be fine, I'm sure. Alphys has cameras everywhere, and I'll bet the judge is already on their trail." She reassured. Sans breathed out in relief.

🛶🛶🛶

Avery went on to bed on an air mattress that was found in the dump and patched up. "avery." She paused from making her bed to look at Sans. "Yes?" He rubbed the back of his neck before signing, not wanting anyone to hear him. "thank you... for not telling him. i don't... want to worry him more." Avery nodded swiftly and signed back. "I promised you I wouldn't. I won't mention a thing about the human unless it is absolutely necessary." She signed. His eyelights narrowed a touch. "disbelieving. you do know promises are made to be broken?" He signed with a skeptical expression. It was just as she thought. He didn't trust her due to being a human. Oh, well. She would earn it eventually. She smirked softly. "Perhaps I am just niave." She mused, and Sans chuckled disbelievingly. __"sorry to tell you this, but i don't believe you. been in too many bad positions with the kid." She turned away to tuck in her sheets and place her pillow. "I know. "You'll see eventually that not all humans are the same." She stated with certainty.

🛶🛶🛶

Avery woke up to the strangled cry of Sans having a nightmare. Gaster blinked blearily, confused and exhausted, but Avery knew what was happening, even without knowing that this was a normal occurrence that Papyrus dealt with. She only knew that there was only one thing that could be causing him such strife. Just one thing that he could never get over it because it happened at a whim. Frisk. Papyrus was just coming out of his room as Avery tore up the stairs and to Sans room to wake him from his nightmare. Gaster got up as another cry came from the bedroom. "Avery -" Papyrus tried to warn her, but the door was already flinging open. A blaster summoned, immediately recognizing her soul as a threat - a human. She only shortcut inside, though avoiding attacks by putting up a barrier of bones. With one of Gaster's blasters guarding her back, she started to detangle Sans from his blanket prison until the magic started to die down. He felt safer when he wasn't restrained, and she let Papyrus take over in actually waking him. She didn't want a bone through the soul, after all.