5: Our People

*knock knock knock*

"Enter."

*click*
"-THE CHILD! BLESS THE CHILD! B-"
*CLICK*

Shutting the door of the announcer's booth yet unable to completely drown out the deafening noise of a massive crowd, a figure wearing a dark purple robe that trailed behind it and a bright yellow mask shuffled towards the opposite end where a large desk had been moved into the booth. The shutters of the window obscured what was inside from the outside, creating a dim and dark environment for what used to be bright and full of energy before the world changed. The figure's robes and shoes slid over the smooth surface of concrete until they halted and dropped to one knee, their head dipping slightly to look at the floor.

"Father, the people, they are ready to receive your presence for the Champion's Induction. They yearn to introduce our newest Champion into our ranks with a limited patience, they are overjoyed."

"Mmmmm..." The deep voice of a man hummed in response to that of the robed figure, said man standing on the other side of the desk with back turned to face a mirror. The man himself donned a large black robe but in a more imposing manner, shoulder pads underneath the robe giving him a more bulky and powerful appearance. The smoke of incense candles wafted upwards before they were placed in a holder, the man turning to face the kneeling figure with a smile. His black hair was slicked back and the beginning stages of wrinkles created a soft, warm expression to anybody who bore witness. "As am I, as am I. For today marks another step to our true ascension as another loyal son of The Child tests himself to become worthy, of the Champion's title. Do you have faith in him?"

"I do, Father. I believe he is worthy to stand amongst the ranks of our Champions and lead his own unit of Blessings. He is strong, willing, and prepared."

"He is indeed, and he will prove himself before our family and be accepted into our group of Champions, as a chosen one. Ready my pathway, I will be out momentarily."

The figure stood onto their feet and gave a short bow. "Yes Father, immediately."

They turned to depart from their side of the desk and return towards the booth's door, opening it with the volume of a stadium's chanting increasing before muffling again. The man took a deep breath and sighed before he turned back to the mirror and stared at the reflection of himself, looking deep into his aging eyes and tired face. Pushed against the wall underneath the mirror was a wide drawer where a hoplite-style helmet awaited him with a horizontal plume of bright yellow like the sun, the man grabbing the helmet and lifting it up to his head.

"Today, marks a glorious day." He said to himself as he slipped the helmet onto his head. "For The Child is eternal, and eternity is granted by The Child. For that which you guide me, so too will I guide your beautiful family."

Nearby lay a staff with a large globe stabbed onto one end of the pole that had been completely painted yellow to resemble the sun, the man taking the staff and standing with it in the mirror. He smiled and nodded at his reflection, turning to march his way towards the door with staff's end clicking across the floor. The volume of the crowd was thundering even through the doors and walls of the announcer's booth, the chants of many declaring that which they were loyally bound to. And with his left hand grasping around the knob of the door he paused to take a breath, preparing himself for yet another day of basking in the warm embrace of the sun.

"What a glorious day indeed."

*CLICK*

"-CHILD! BLESS THE CHILD! BLESS-"