Chapter 3

Riding in an elevator with Tony Stark was certainly not an everyday occurrence. Peter thought he was dreaming it.

Of all people, he was the chosen one? And as a personal trainee! He didn't know exactly who it was, but he was glad that his childhood idol was paying so much attention to him.

"Hey, Peter," quipped Mr. Stark as they rode in silence, "do you want to see my lab?"

"Yes!" exclaimed Peter exultantly and started jumping.

Tony laughed, looking affectionately at the boy.

"Calm down, haven't you ever heard about how an elevator can break down if you jump?" Tony joked to Peter, because he knew that FRIDAY he wouldn't let that happen.

Although actually that about jumping in the elevator was a fact.

Peter immediately stopped and raised a horrified look at Tony.

"Sorry, I didn't know," he muttered under his breath.

Tony did not know where this sudden change in the boy's behavior came from.

"Relax, I was just joking. I'm not angry or anything."

Peter smiled slightly, but didn't jump again.

Suddenly, the elevator stopped and the doors opened, revealing a huge laboratory with state-of-the-art 21st century technology.

Tony showed Peter around and pointed out where his workspace was. Tony decided to ask Peter some questions to see if Peter was really that smart.

"Well young man," said Tony planting Peter in a chair and approaching the boy from behind. Peter giggled at what he called him. "Do you know what this is?"

Tony pulled a chisel from behind his back, which happened to be next to him.

"Hm" Peter wondered. "Chisel?"

"Good" Tony exclaimed exultantly. "And this?"

"A strum?"

"Not bad at all. That was a tough one."

And so Tony tested his knowledge on various topics for the next two hours, until finally Peter got tired and became grouchy. Tony noticed a change in his behavior after a while.

"Hey, are you okay? Do you want to rest?"

Peter rubbed his eyes with his fists and nodded. Tony didn't want the kid to feel uncomfortable, so he decided to take a longer break.

"There you have a couch," he pointed to a corner of the room. "If you want, you can lie down for a while. Does that sound good?"

Peter nodded and dragged himself to the indicated place. He lay down on his side, facing the back of the couch, and fell asleep before he knew it.

This was probably due to a five-hour sleep. Before he fell asleep he felt someone cover him with a blanket. He smiled, as it was rare for someone to do that for him.

With a sense of warmth and security, the boy fell asleep in an unfamiliar, but quieter place than home.

***

Tony didn't expect the boy to fall asleep. He thought he would lie down or something.

Actually, he didn't know what to expect, but he certainly didn't imagine it. Had he done something wrong? Had he bored him? Or maybe Peter was sick!

Tony pushed these thoughts away. Maybe the kids were like that, he knew nothing about them in total. What was he thinking taking an 8-year-old into his care?