The lab|| 001

"012" January 23, 1985
Hawkins, Indiana
Hawkins National Lab

012 sat in a chair. Machines beeped from outside of the medium sized room. A small circular table with a cat in a cage was on it sat beside 012. 012 knew what he had to do, but he wasn't gonna do it. He stared at the mirror in front of the room, knowing people were watching him from outside. He shook his head and took off the EEG (electroencephalogram). Tears swelled in his eyes as he continued shaking his head. Two men walked in and grabbed 012 by his arms, pulling him to another room. "Papa!" 012 yelled repeatedly. He just stood from the end of the hallway and watched. He kicked and screamed loudly. This wasn't his life. He wanted to see his mum and brother. He didn't remember much of them but he knew they loved him. The men threw 012 into a metal closet sized room. As they were about to shut the door, 012 tilted his head down and tilted his head to the side where he broke one man's neck. The man fell down in agony. 012 felt weak but had to keep going. He lifted his head up and back down. The other man drowned in a pool of blood. 012 felt weak but had to leave. Brenner would've noticed by now so he had to run.

He sprinted through the halls, his legs weak. He pushed through the pain and tiredness. He turned a corner to a hallway where a lift was at the end of it. Unfortunately, a group of men including Brenner were behind him. He could either follow the men, or attempt to escape, and possibly get a horrible punishment. 012 took his chances and ran down the hallway. He panted as he quickly ran into the lift, clicking any button. The doors closed right before the men could get inside.

His hands shaken, he wouldn't know what to do outside of the lab. He didn't even know where his family were.

012 eventually stepped out of the lift and into some other rooms on the bottom floor. He had to hide. He grabbed a coat that sat on the table and put it on. He made no eye contact but the staff found it strange how a member seemed so short. They held out guns at the boy and he ran to the front doors. They needed id. He raised his hand slightly and smashed the glass doors, running out of there. His ankle socks had glass in them and his skin was cut up. He didn't care though, he wanted to be free. He hid in the forest, completely quiet. He had taken the socks off and saw glass sticking out of his foot. He pulled each individual piece of glass out of his feet. He struggled badly to walk, but he had to get as far away from the lab as possible.

As he walked around the forest, the leaves crunching under his feet, he felt something else beneath his feet. A piece of paper. He grabbed it and saw his own face. He scrunched it up and put it in his hospital gowns pocket.

He stood out in the wild for hours, so long it began raining. The rain poured on him and he shivered profusely, his teeth chattering. He leaned against a tree and held himself in a ball. He was about to fall asleep when he heard leaves crunching. He slowly got up, trying to stay as quiet as possible. He began stepping slowly away. When he was far enough, he began running. He continued running as fast as possible. He stopped in his tracks, resting his hands on his knees as he panted. As he thought he was safe, he heard leaves behind him. He turned back slowly to reveal a group of people. Wills heart raced, he didn't know if they were bad or good. They did look around his age which made them trustworthy.

"Are you okay?" One asked, he had raven hair and was wearing a rain jacket. He was reaching his hand out but 012 flinched. He slowly took his hand away. "What's your name..?" The boy asked again. His voice more softer and quieter than before, almost felt reassuring in a way. 012 slowly showed the boy his wrist and his expression immediately changed. "Come on! We can get you back to mine. Where it's warm. And good." He said. His friends nodded in agreement at the boys statement. 012 nodded slightly, still not 100% sure if they were lying.