Chapter 14

I woke up with a start. I'd been having a nightmare about vampires and my throat getting ripped out. When I awoke I grabbed my neck like I could stop the bleeding only to realise it wasn't bleeding at all, in fact I was perfectly fine. Not only that but Tristan was still here.

"Are you alright?" he asked. He was at my bed in a flash and took my head in his hands to make me look at him. I was breathing heavily but focusing on him helped. 

"Yeah. Sorry. I was having a nightmare," I told him. "You're still here?" 

"I never left." I noticed now he was still in the clothes he'd been in last night. 

"Did you not sleep?"

"We don't need as much rest you humans do. I'm quite alright," he explained. I nodded and took a moment to further calm myself. 

"So you were watching me all night?" I asked getting up and going to the bathroom. "Not creepy at all." I locked the door behind me so I could do my business and brush my teeth. Luckily I wasn't feeling hungover, but definitely a little mentally exhausted. A lot had happened last night. This morning kind of felt like a new beginning somehow. 

"Where's Fenrir?" I asked coming out and then locking myself in the walk-in wardrobe so I could change. 

"I set him to the task of cleaning everything up," Tristan told me as I came back out in new clothes. "Suitable punishment. I've heard him cursing all night. He hates cleaning." 

I laughed at that.

"Hey listen, don't hurt him or anything," I said. 

"Hmm?" Tristan was by the balcony when I joined him. He seemed to be intently scanning the area, almost like he was looking for something. I wondered what he thought would be out there.

"Fenrir. Don't hurt him, like because of last night."

"He'd deserve it," Tristan said now instead scanning me. His hand went to my hair and he brushed a few strands into place on my forehead where I'd let it hang this morning. I hadn't gotten a hair cut in a while but I was kind of enjoying the slightly longer style giving me a slight fringe.

"Don't," I begged. "It's not his fault you couldn't keep it in your pants, or that I agreed to go with him to that room, or left the parlour at all." Again, I didn't admit that Fenrir had encouraged me to leave the parlour but I was a grown man and it's not like I had to listen to him. I don't think he would have dragged me by the elbow and forced me anywhere if I'd said no. "I like him, despite some things. I didn't like what you did to him last time." 

"You like him? Really?" He raised his eyebrow in question and leaned back on his elbow along the edge of the balcony. His smile indicated amusement. 

"Yeah. I do, strangely enough." 

"Even if he did-"

"-Whatever you're going to say, don't push it," I said interrupting and getting closer. 

Tristan didn't argue back, instead turning away to stare back into the trees. "Trust me, cleaning is enough punishment for him anyway. I won't do anything else." 

"Thank you," I said smiling and grabbing his arm, squeezing his bicep for a brief moment before I let go. His muscles had felt so solid and a million thoughts raced through my head, all of which made me blush. "What do you keep looking for out there?" 

"Anyone who shouldn't be there. I don't think we have anything to worry about though, for now anyway," he said walking away. "I'll meet you in the kitchen in a little while to make you breakfast. I'd like to get changed myself first."