003. friends and fires

It was getting dark in the glade, which meant they were about to host the monthly bonfire, for the new greenie.

Mia still sat in the homestead, waiting for someone to help, yet as the hours passed, no one came.
________

Mia now sat alone by the tree, she stared as people laughed, with their friends By there sides. Even though she didn't have many friends, she help up the entire glade, she helped serve lunch, was pretty much running the med-jack hut, and always helped Alby out, without her the glade would probably fall apart, But she didn't think that she meant that much.

She sat staring at the walls for a good amount of time, before Someone came to sit down with her.

"Hello" A british accent echoed through her ears.

"Hi" She responded not looking away from the walls. The ivy sitting softly against the harsh stone.

"What are you doing all by yourself, Mia?" Newt asks politely.

"Nothing much" She slowly watches the wind blow the still ivy.

"You're always alone" He tilts his head slightly.

"Yeah, I don't have many friends" she said now staring at the ground.

"That's surprising" Newt looked straight at Mia.

"No one wants to be friends with a girl.." She trailed off slightly chuckling sadly.

"That's not true" He still stared at the girl

Her head slowly turning to him as he spoke. interested in what he would say.

"I would be your friend"

A small smile appeared on mia's face,
Happy that not everyone in the glade thought she was boring.

"Thanks Newt" She looked into his eyes, his deep brown eyes, she could see her reflection in them. But there was something else. A sense of comfort. A sense she longed for, for a long time.

When she realized she was staring she looked away quickly, The two sat in silence as the watched the sparks from the fire fly around.

"You know" The silence was broken by the Brit, grabbing Mia's attention once again. "If you ever get Lonley in the Med-Jack Hut, you can always come around with me, i'll be training the greenie. And helping him find his job."

"I'd like that a lot, thanks"

_______

The two talked through the whole night, Mia occasionally taking sips of gallys terrible drink, it burned but it was good.

The fire started to burn out, and everyone got ready for bed, Mia was happy, she had a new friend. And boy did she like him.

"Night mia" He waved her off as they parted there ways.

"Night Newt" She smiled.

She walked over to her hammock, further away from everyone else.

she layed down, staring at the ceiling, The boys snores could be heard from miles away, but after a whole year, Mia found them comforting, knowing people were around her.