► Chapter 25: Growing Pains and Forgotten Names

The food never ran out.

Whenever Tenma and his siblings finished their lunch, shortly after they turned away, they noticed that Mrs. Rotenmeyer was refilling the food bowls again, then she would return to the counter.

It seemed like she only spent time in the store. She rarely went out, only to buy some groceries. For Tenma, who was the puppy she paid the most attention to, he couldn't be more grateful.

He was happy to be her center of attention.

"Hey, brother, what would you like to play today?"

One of his canine brothers asked him, bringing the usual ball in his mouth. Tenma knew that he only wanted to play with the ball, it was always the only toy he brought to play with him.

Tenma realized that he would stop being on the store floor and would return to being back in the cubicle in an instant.

He carefully observed the puppy, noticing that he now looked bigger. Not only that puppy, but also his other siblings. They were all a little bigger, and upon checking himself, he noticed that he was too.

He was no longer a puppy. When he saw his reflection in the cubicle glass, he saw himself as a slightly larger dog. Tenma became somewhat quiet for a moment...

But he was quickly pulled by his tail by his brother to get his attention.

"So? Shall we play or not?" his brother asked again, wagging his tail showing his great joy.

"Well, uh.... Sure" Tenma replied, turning to him, but realizing that he was still looking at him waiting for his response.

That's when he realized that he had been thinking instead of talking all this time. He had gotten used to not speaking much.

"Brother?" his brother asked again, looking at him confused.

Tenma took a deep breath and sighed, smiling at the puppy in front of him.

"Sure. We can definitely play!"

Amidst laughter, Tenma began to chase his brother around the cubicle. His brother tried to escape from him, preventing him from taking the ball.

He was good at moving in the confined space of the cubicle, avoiding tripping over his other siblings who were asleep, unlike Tenma who kept apologizing for bumping into them several times.

"By the way, brother, when did you become so good at running?" Tenma asked, unable to keep up with his elusive brother.

"Call me Gorgon" his brother replied, leaving the ball on the floor, looking at himself with pride. "I've been practicing constantly since we were little. It seems like no one has come to adopt us yet, so I take every opportunity to have fun. If you played more with me, you would be as good as me, even though I'm younger than you."

Tenma watched Gorgon laugh, wagging his tail confidently and a little arrogantly, but well deserved. He recognized the potential in his brother as a possible guardian for the store as well. Of course, Tenma knew that he would always be the favorite of Miss Rotenmeyer and that would never change.

Feeling that he didn't stand much chance of winning, he lay back on the cubicle floor, this time closer to his other siblings. Gorgon called him to play again, but he knew he couldn't beat him.

It was difficult to keep up with him. He would prefer to spend time resting like the others. Eat, play, rest, and sleep. That's all Tenma wanted, besides being the favorite of the house.

Gradually, Tenma would fall asleep as he watched the others sleep...

But a doubt entered his mind. How come he didn't know the name of any of his siblings all this time they had been growing up?

He had just found out Gorgon's name, his most restless brother. Although that name gave him a bad feeling...

He felt like he had heard that name somewhere before.

["Tenma"]

He would hear the same voice of that angel again, but he couldn't see her around. Tenma tried not to listen to her call, trying to remember where else he had heard that name.

("Gorgon, there's no time. You're the only one with the necessary strength to do it")

A sudden voice came back to his head. Leaving him frozen, unable to move at all.

The voice of a girl, with a sweet tone... Tenma remembered her voice, but not who she was.

Tenma questioned his memories. They were false, he told himself to better take a nap.

But he simply fell asleep, with everything cloudy in his mind.

-------------------------------------------------

[+50 Advanced Chapters ONLY in my Patreon.]

patreon.com/JoltyBeans

Your contribution means the world to me! ʕ •́ᴥ•̀ʔっ♡

-------------------------------------------------