► Chapter 29: Escape from the Monster's Cave

Tenma was stunned by what he saw.

The squirrel's corpse began to move, the broken bones of the squirrel making sounds. Despite that, it seemed that the animal wasn't suffering, managing to stand upright, and then sit down.

But the squirrel still had blank eyes.

"There you have it, see? Your little friend just as he was," exclaimed the great monster, smiling at the canine. "If you want something, just let me know, okay?"

With that said, it submerged again underwater, splashing a lot of water everywhere, getting both the canine and the squirrel wet.

["..."]

["Alright, let's find a way to escape."]

The angel seemed to be trying to ignore everything that happened, approaching Tenma to call him.

But Tenma was in shock, watching as the squirrel didn't move back.

He still had a somewhat wet body, the absence of light in his eyes persisted, and he still smelled foul.

Tenma was sure the squirrel wasn't alive.

"She's a con artist. I don't think everything she says is real," commented the canine as he moved away from the squirrel.

["If it were that easy, then she could be considered some kind of God. But it's clear she's far from being one. She's just a nutcase."]

Tenma began to look around for any openings through which they could escape, but his belly ended up rumbling with hunger.

"How long have I been unconscious?"

["3 days. I've been in your subconscious all this time you've been passed out."]

The canine began to approach the fish that the monster left in the cave, looking at them with disgust.

"This... is what we have," he said to himself, avoiding sniffing the fish, taking a bite reluctantly.

It took a while, but Tenma began to devour the fish one by one, or at least until he felt full. Falling to the ground.

"We have to escape from here. I don't want to be anyone's pet. It feels bad to have to change options all the time, but I'm sure this is the right decision," Tenma commented to the angel, who was observing the fish with doubt. "Huh? Don't tell me there's something wrong with the fish too."

["It's not that. It's just that, from what I understand, these fish aren't easy to find in this world. They're from a species that is very expensive."]

Tenma perked his ears up, looking at the angel with raised eyebrows.

"So, could we sell them once we escape from here?"

["There's no way we can go if you don't even get up once. Don't get too comfortable."]

The canine drooped his ears, but listened as the angel began to talk to him about certain things, but paid better attention to a separate plan.

"Inventory."

Invoking the command to bring up the inventory window, he tried to see if he could store some fish in it through the popup window. Fortunately, he could, so he took advantage of it to store as many as he could until it was full.

["... And that's why I might not live long..."]

Tenma turned to look at the angel upon hearing the latter, noticing how he was next to him, looking at him angrily.

["That's a lie. Idiot. But I was explaining that I found an opening in the dark part of the cave. It's a tunnel, leading to a rat's nest. It's not the most hygienic thing in the world, but it should lead to an exit on the surface if we follow it."]

While Tenma listened to the angel's directions, Dave, the dead squirrel behind him, began to walk after being still for a while.

"Mik.................Mik."

In a quick movement, the squirrel would extend its claws to attack the canine, who barely managed to dodge it upon hearing the previous noise.

"Squirrel! So you're alive after all!"

Tenma was glad that the squirrel who tried to save him was back, but it still had blank eyes. Tenma stepped back a little more, hesitating.

The squirrel was foaming at the mouth, jumping to attack Tenma again.

"Don't you recognize me?!" exclaimed the canine, once again avoiding its attack.

-------------------------------------------------

[+50 Advanced Chapters ONLY in my Patreon.]

patreon.com/JoltyBeans

Your contribution means the world to me! ʕ •́ᴥ•̀ʔっ♡

-------------------------------------------------