You Won't Get to See These Tears I Cry

A/N: I know this is a Kelly Clarkson song lyric, I thought it matched well with the chapter.

Zoe's POV

Tears trickle down my face as I beat up the punching bag. I'm sick of this house, sick of my life, and sick of how much time I spend alone. Everyone on my missions has someone to turn to, someone to hold when things get rough. Mike and Trixie, Erica and Ben, Mary and Cyrus. Even Catherine is getting back together with Alexander now. I wish I could just find someone who I liked that liked me back. The only people who have liked me have been evil. Why is life so complicated?

I pour every ounce of rage into each strike. The surge of adrenaline fuels my determination as hatred courses through my veins. I don't even feel the pain in my hands after half an hour of fighting. Every jab, every hook, I unleash on the punching bag with unwavering intensity. Unbeknownst to anyone, my skills have sharpened significantly. Ben, like everyone else, remains oblivious to the fact that I'm honing myself into one of the academy's top fighters. Despite being underestimated due to my size, I know better. My tireless hours of training, the sacrifice of sleep, the endless studying—it all converges in this moment. My solitary existence serves as my driving force. With a swift spin, I execute a powerful kick. The impact alone could incapacitate the average person. Pausing to catch my breath, I glimpse a figure seated in the corner, prompting me to whirl around, ready to confront them.

Mary Hale greets me with a warm smile, reminiscent of my grandmother's. "Why spend the day before a mission training down here? Relax, have some fun. You don't need to be alone for the whole day." she suggests. My response was tense, laced with the hatred I struggled to contain. "How could you possibly understand what I need?" I yell at her, feeling the weight of isolation pressing down on me. Mary's reaction surprises me. Instead of retaliating or saying a witty response, she approaches me calmly. As I swing at her, then try to sweep her legs out from under her, she effortlessly evades and then pulls me into a hug. In that embrace, my anger dissolved, replaced by an unexpected flood of emotion. I start to shake. She holds me close, offering kindness in her words. "Zoe, I've got you. It's okay to let it out. I'm here." As tears streamed down my face, I couldn't understand why she was being so kind. "Why?" I asked, bewildered. Her answer, while offering comfort, sent chills down my spine. "Because I know what it's like to feel unloved. Your path as a spy may make love seem distant, but you're not alone." From that moment on, we spent the afternoon together, talking, training, and simply being present. Finally, in Mary, I found someone I could confide in, who truly understood what I was going through.

A/N: This was one of my favorite chapters to write! Tell me what you all think! I promised you all I wouldn't leave Zoe alone, and I will not break my promise. First, I just needed to break her down, to have her reach her lowest point so I can build her back up. It's coming, I promise!