Chapter 46 | Mener Une Bataille Perdue

When sense came back to me, I hurried after of him. I was too far behind to draw his attention. We end up back up at the Garrison soon after. He doesn't notice me still. I decide to lag behind and watch him. He jumps onto his horse, and I quickly sneak into my room to grab my cloak and find a horse already saddled. I'm just borrowing, I tell myself.

Athos sets off, me hiding amount the various other night goers and riders. He was much to determined to leave, to pay much attention to the chaos that was the city,I let him unknowningly show me the way. This was a bad idea. I knew it, but my curiosity got the better of me. Though of the very, very recents events that just occurred, it was not the only thing that stirred my curiosity. Or confusion.

The night turns into morning, we soon reach a small town outside of the City. I decide to let Athos go off on his own. If I were to follow he would notice. I would have to go by foot. As he makes his way through, many people turn and gasps as he passes. He doesn't pay them any mind, just jaw clenched and looking ahead. I stop by a stall to buy some bread. The woman manning it had her gaze on a retreating Musketeer.

She notices me and plasters on a smile.

"My apologies, you must think me very rude."

"Not at all. Do you know my friend?"

"Friend?"

I give her a moment to connect the dots.

"Are you the Lords special friend? It's good to not see him alone."

"What? No. We work together." I say alittle too defensively.

She narrows her eyes before burst out into laughter.

It dies down as she sees the very serious look on my face.

"But you are a woman."

"I am aware."

"We all heard the Lord was a Musketeer."

"He is. We are. Wait, why do you keep calling him Lord?"

"That man. Your friend. He is Comte de la Fere."

"You must be mistaken. Athos is no lord."

"That can be no one other than Olivier d'Athos de la Fère. He owns the very lands we stand upon."

I buy a piece of bread.

Before leaving I ask her "Do you know where he might be staying?"

She looks at me skeptically.

I place another coin down on her table. She pockets it and points towards the forest.

"His home is through that grove, the path long but when you get there, you can't miss it. Nature has begun to take it over but it still stands sturdy."

I thank her and tie my horse up at a nearby pole. I follow her directions on foot. Sure enough, Athos's horse I tied up outside of it.The house is large. Though vines have overtaken most of its surface, you can still make out the decadent adornments. I took it all in awe. I knew Athos was hiding things, but this...

I hear leaves russsle from the side of the house. I hide behind a tree. The woman from the Alley comes into view. Atleast she wears the same cloak as the woman. Very distinctive, and familiar to me now. She was very beautiful.