Chapter 54 | À Surveiller

I stood there in the road, unsure of where I was and where to go. I had not had the chance to explore this side of Paris yet.

I find the only boarding house nearby and rent a room. I scrub my skin raw trying to clean the stench of the prison from me. Athos still lay on my mind. I had no notion if he was alive or dead.

For the next week I hear nothing. I only leave the room when I need to eat, keeping to myself. On this particular day when I went to the street Market, I noticed a young man following me. He was coy about it, but after a few blocks I got the message. I assume he was sent by the Cardinal to check in on me, and I would not give my advantage away.

A few hours after returning to my room.

"Hello."

Ever so poise and proper, Milady saunters into the room. Her hood covering most of her face per usual. She was smiling.

"Milady. What are you doing here? Does he make you stay here too?"

She shakes her head disgusted. This part of the city was very run down, higher crime rates since it's on the outskirts.

"God himself couldn't get me to stay here. I keep an apartment elsewhere and the Cardinal may pay for my services but he does not own me."

"So it doesn't worry you that he could out your true identity?"

She rolls her eyes at the thought.

"Enough about that old fool, we have an appointment to keep!"

"What are you talking about?"

She eyes my filthy clothes. I hadn't the energy to change earlier.

"You can't go around looking like that. You may fit in on this street but you'll stick out like a sore thumb at tomorrow nights big event!" She sings out the last two words.

"What's happening tomorrow?"

"I'll explain after we get to the dressmakers."

As we make our way down the street, I don't see the boy anywhere. He must have gone when Milady arrived.

We don't speak on the way to the Dressmakers shop, which was withing view not within half an hour.

Somebody bumps into me.

"Sorry Miss."

It's the boy who was following me earlier. But I don't give that knowledge away. Milady waves the boy off, motioning me inside the building.

She apparently put in a dress order days ago, so all I had to do was put it on. As I undress behind a partition from my plain clothes, I feel something in my pocket. I pull a small paper from it.

That boy must have slipped it in.

I unfold it as quietly as possible. Milady lounges only feet away.

My heart stills as I read.

Daria,

Athos lives. We will get more word to you soon.

Stay safe,
Aramis

Athos was alive, I had to hold back my joy. I had kept my emotions plateaued thus far, I didn't need to give Milady any doubt with a change in that. I slip the paper into my corset.