CHAPTER 2

" I think you should run for student body president" he said" you'll be graduating in June, and I think it would look good on your record. Your mother think so too, by the way. "
My mother nodded as she chewed mouthful of peas. She didn't speak much when my father had the floor., though she winked at me.

I don't think I'd have a chance at winning" I said. Though I was probably the richest kid in school, I was by no means the most popular.that honor belonged to Jeon Jungkook, my best friend. He'd led the football team to back-to-back state titles as the star quarterback. He was a stud. Even his name sounded cool.

"Of course you can win," my father said quickly. " We Kim always win"

That's one of the reason I didn't like spending time with my father. During those few times he was home, i think he wanted to mold me into a miniature version of himself. Since I'd grown up pretty much without him my father was gone nine months of the year living out of town. My mother didn't go with him because both of them wanted me to grow up "the same way they had"

My father was a stranger, someone i barely knew at all. For the first five year of my life i thought all fathers lived somewhere else. It wasn't until my best friend Jungkook, asked me in kindergarten who that guy that showed up at my house the night before that i realised something was not quite right about the situation.

He's my father,"i said proudly.
"Oh," Jungkook said as he rifled though my lunchbox, "i didn't know you had a father."

Talk about something whacking you straight in the face.

So i grew up under the care of my mother. Now she was a nice lady, sweet and gentle, the kind of mother most people dream about.
I'd come to recent having him around. This was the first conversation we'd had in weeks. He rarely talked to me on the phone
"But what if I don't want to?"
My father put down his fork he looked at me crossly, giving me once over. He was wearing a suit even though it was over eighty degrees in the house, and it made him even more intimidating. My father always wore suit, by the way.
"I think," he said slowly,"that it would be a good Idea."

I knew that when he talked that way the issue was settled. My father's words are law. But the fact was, even after i agreed, i didn't want to waste my afternoon meeting with teachers after school every week for rest of the year, dreaming up themes for school dances or trying to decide what colour the streamers should be. That's really all the class president did, at least back when I was in high school. It wasn't like students had the power to actually decide anything meaningful.

But then again, i knew my father had a point. If I wanted to go to national university, I had to do something. I didn't play football or baseball l, i didn't play an instrument, i wasn't in the chess club or the bowling club or any thing else, I didn't excel in the classroom hell, i didn't excel at much of anything. Growing despondent, i started listing the things I actually could do, but to be honest there really wasn't that much. I could tie eight different types of knot, i could balance a pencil vertically on my fingers for thirty seconds. But i didn't think that any of those things would stand out on a college application. there I was lying in the bed all night long, slowly coming to the sinking realisation that I was a loser. Thanks, dad.