7. Testimony of Pierre

Pierre Deschamps, a professor at the university in his 60s. He has a knack for making complex statistical concepts accessible. His intellectual curiosity is matched by a genuine warmth and kindness, making him a beloved figure both in and out of the academic community.

He radiates an air of charisma and intelligence. That morning, he shows up with a neatly pulled back chestnut hair, accompany with a pair of glasses perched on his nose, giving him a studious appearance.

His attire is professional yet stylish, with a navy-blue sweater over a crisp white shirt perfectly covering his pale skin and a pair of gray pants, completing the look with sensible leather shoes.

His demeanor is composed and measured, with a calm, authoritative presence that commands respect everywhere he goes. When he speaks, his voice is clear and deliberate, often accompanied by thoughtful pauses that reflect his deep consideration of the subject matter.

His eyes, sharp and observant behind his glasses, miss nothing, and his expressions often carry a hint of gentle amusement or curiosity.

Detective Gagnon greets Pierre as he enters the room. "Thank you for coming, I'm sorry to bother you during holiday," he begins with apologetic tone.

Pierre waves off his apology with a gracious smile. "No problem, Detective. I'm here to assist you," he replies politely.

As they settle into the conversation, Detective Gagnon wastes no time preparing his note while Detective Côté read his rights as a witness and start the recording.

Detective Gagnon start with his list of questions. "Can you tell me what your relationship with Claire LeBlanc is?" he inquires.

Pierre reminisces as he speaks, a faint smile playing on his lips. "Claire is my ex-wives. We met through a phone booth date in 1993, set up by mutual friends. It was a rather spontaneous encounter. I had ended my previous marriage. I was 36 at the time and Claire was 30. She was divorced with two children."

"How did your relationship develop over time?" detective Côté inquires.

"Well, to be honest," Pierre admits, "she may not have been the brightest, but there was a certain charm about her that I found appealing. Her femininity and fragility drew me in. After several old-fashioned dates, I made our relationship official by proposing to her on our one-year anniversary. I offered her my house as I proposed, and we stayed there for the next 14 years of our marriage."

"I see," Detective Gagnon nods, taking down notes. "Why did you two separated?"

Pierre sighs. "There were some misunderstandings, and we weren't as compatible as we used to be. I wanted to have kids, but she didn't. She refused the idea of adoption because she already had her daughters."

"I'm sorry to hear that," the detective says sympathetically. "Things do change as we grow older. How is your relationship with her these days?"

"We remain good friends," Pierre replies. "Sometimes she comes to me to dog sit Bella. We had a pair of Westies together, Terry and Louis. Both have passed away now, but we shared them and adopted new dogs after their deaths. Bella is her dog and Sparta is my current dog."

"After she broke up with you, have you ever reconciliate your relationship with her?" detective Gagnon continues asking.

"I loved Claire, but I'm not stupid enough to remain with her after all I experienced. Sometimes Claire wants to tag along," he explains, his frustration evident. "She always found excuses to see me, using her dog as a reason. I have no problem with that, but never in my life will I get close to her again."

"After the divorce, do you have any idea about her love life?" detective Côté inquires.

"Not particularly, she rarely mentioned her lovers." Pierre remembering his past with Claire.