Chapter Nineteen

Noel's POV

When we walk to pick up Henry from school I notice that there are more warriors walking around the streets than I've ever seen before and it makes me feel safe.

I walk in between James and Dennis, and as we walk, my hand brushes against Dennis' and I pull away but I can't deny the tingles I feel when our hands briefly touch. It happens again but this time Dennis doesn't let me pull away.

He takes my hand in his and I walk a little closer to him. I notice that as I walk closer to Dennis, James moves a little closer to me. If it were anyone else, the closeness would be suffocating, but I can't deny that I love the attention of these two alphas. I've never felt this way before.

It must be because of the mate bond, wanting us to get closer to one another and mate, but I think about how well these two alphas have treated me and I'm not sure how much of that is true. The mate bond is certainly in effect, sure, but I think these two have weaseled their way into my heart just from being kind and that terrifies me.

I can't get attached. I know what bad things will happen to me the moment I let my guard down.

My wolf doesn't like that line of thinking and starts to argue with me, reminding me that they haven't hurt me yet. They aren't going to hurt you, it says, they love you. But I doubt that. The only people in my life who have ever loved me is my mother and Henry.

And they are the only people I have ever loved. That scares me. Part of me wants to love and care for these two alphas who have shown me so much kindness, but I'm not sure I even know how to do that.

Most people have only ever wanted me for my body and the pleasure they perceived I could give them. And I'm not sure, but James and Dennis don't seem to only want that from me.

We arrive at the school and I stop when Dennis stops moving, but it takes me an extra second to stop walking. I'm lost in my thoughts. I wonder what would happen if I were to give these two men my body. Would they then start being cruel? I don't want to think they would, but I know little else and it's hard to not see everyone as a predator.

Even the alpha warriors that I see walking around. I wonder how many of them would hurt me if they only had the chance.

I don't say anything as we wait for school to let out. It shouldn't be much longer, and James and Dennis also wait in silence, though with the way they occasionally grunt and glance at each other, I can tell that they are communicating through their mate bond. I wonder what that's like, how it would feel to be able to communicate with someone in that way, where you could hold no secrets from one another.

A large part of me is curious what that's like, but another part is terrified. I wonder what my life would turn into if I knew their secrets, but I am also terrified at the prospect that they could uncover mine.

There are already parts of the mate bond that are still active with me. Like when we're close, I can feel the emotions of my mates. I can feel James' curiosity and Dennis has an overwhelming feeling of sadness around him. But that is all I can sense and all I will be able to until the mate bond is fully complete.

I think about Dennis and I wonder what is wrong. I almost ask, but my cowardice takes over and I say nothing, just squeeze his hand a little tighter. He turns to look at me and smiles at me.

It shouldn't be too much longer before I will have Henry in my arms, but with my overthinking, it feels like an eternity has passed. Everything is silent between us three for a moment until James walks directly in front of me.