III | the meet

III | the meet

The day which Meera and Vihaan wanted to go back to was a normal day. 

There was nothing extraordinary about that day. It was a Thursday, and it was sunny in the cold winter afternoon. There was no signs from the universe about anything that could go bad in that day. Their horoscopes even said that this day would mark a day for a new life for them.

Meera sat in a pretentious cafe where she drank a very expensive coffee and read a book while she waited for her prospective groom. 

He was not just a prospective groom.

He was a key for her family to finally throw their burden on someone else's shoulders. 

The fact that he was a son of an ex-politician did not help either.

Meera had no idea how Vihaan Singh Chauhan, a famous, rich and uptown man come across lowlifes as her family members. But she also knew that this meant there was no reason for the man to agree to marry her.

A teacher for high-school students, dark skinned and a divorcee. 

No sane man would ever marry her. 

But, she did not know how insane Vihaan Singh Chauhan was.

If only.

Meera waited for an hour. She drank two cups of the expensive coffee. Almost finished the novel she was reading. She even considered leaving but she'd rather go home and tell her family that she was stood up. 

They'd rather her be rejected than her rebelling.

Between a dead daughter and a divorced daughter, they would definitely choose a dead daughter.

Why else would they want her married again when she had barely escaped the clutches of the devil. 

It may have been years for that, but she still carried the bruises of that marriage and she knew that the demons under her bed had long taken their place on it. 

Meera glanced at the time. She needed to leave if she had to go back home and prepare for the class for the next day. She was also thankful that Vihaan Chauhan had not shown up so she did not have to be rejected again.

It was nothing new. 

Meera was always rejected because love at first sight was never written for girls like her.

Hate at first sight, maybe?

She wrapped her things, stuffing her book and her laptop in her bag and adjusted the dupatta over the tail-cut kurti she wore. Meera was relieved that Vihaan had stood up on her, and that would get her family off her back for the next two months at least.

"Meera Rai?" 

She spoke too soon because the man she counted on had disappointed her when he stood across from her. 

She met his eyes.

Chocolate brown eyes.

She hated chocolate.

Meera glanced at the man who looked fine in the navy and green plaid blazer over a black turtleneck and formal pants. His hair were shiny, tad longer than most men have and his pointed stare pinning her down. Fair, handsome, tall and knew that he looked absolutely attractive. Especially with the way some girls kept staring at him. 

Meera knew all that she had to know from the man who stood nonchalant when he saw her. 

He did not apologise for making her wait for an hour. He did not seem to bother to ask her if she was okay or needed anything. And he surely did not seem to care.