CHAPTER SIX

CAIN

I storm into my office, ignoring the curious glances from my staff over their cubicle walls.

Closed off from straining ears, I whirl on Rev. "What the fuck are you doing? I asked for a report, not for you to make friends with the guy and buy him goddamn tacos!"

Lack of sleep and chasing around criminals has me in a mood today, though some would argue I'm always in a mood.

Add in the fact that my dick decided to wake up at the worst fucking time possible. Why did the little thief have to have to be so fucking pretty? Who the fuck has a right to look like that?

Failing to restrain his grin, Rev takes my fury in stride. He's known me long enough to not be afraid. Sure, I'd slugged him a couple of times. He'd swung on me, too. But we'd never raise a weapon against each other. He's the one guy I can't shake, no matter how dark I go.

Rev's an anomaly. He'd waltzed into Sinro Enterprises shortly after I'd started it up. Told me he didn't need an interview, just a few minutes to prove his skill with pistols at the gun range. I hired him after two perfect shots. It didn't take long after that to discover the heartless killer beneath his mask of light-hearted amusement.

Rev leans back against the slate gray wall of my office and slips his hands into his pockets. "The guy took a job under duress, Cain."

I slam a fist down on my desk, uprooting a can of pens and my stapler. "I don't give a fuck!"

Rev just blinks back at me. "Why didn't you shoot him, then?"

"What?" I ask incredulously.

"If you think he's such a threat, why tie him up in the office and not in the lower levels where we normally do this work?"

I blow out a hot breath. That's the million-dollar question of the day, isn't it?

"I...needed to be certain he wasn't working with our enemies."

"Name the last time you've dragged someone back here to question their alliances. You're quick to pull the trigger, Cain."

"Yeah, because those other people were all confirmed criminals!"

"And we both know this guy's innocent."

I tug at the longer pieces of my hair while pacing behind my desk. "Fuck you."

Radiating a calm I wish I possessed, Rev continues, "He has no clue what's on the drive or how to access it, but he did help locate one of Gabriel's warehouses."

I scoff. "Gabriel threatened a fucking kid into stealing the drive back? He can't be serious. He's gotta have another team moving in on us."

Rev tilts his head, his silver chain earrings swinging with the movement. "I don't know. He said he's never been caught. And his name is Ezra, by the way."

"I don't care," I snap back.

"Sure, boss." Rev gives a quiet laugh. "Ezra's apparently quite the con artist. Clever, too. We should consider hiring him, if not for his potential, then for the fact that Gabriel would slaughter him the moment he steps out of this building empty-handed."