CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

EZRA

We made it to the ER but not without difficulties. I ran two red lights, nearly took out a street sign, and parked the truck on the sidewalk. Somehow, Cain remained calm throughout the chaos, which only proved to me that he wasn’t well. No one fully conscious would let my lack of driving skills slide without aggressive commentary.

The doctor informed me Cain had indeed ripped his stitches. They fixed him up and wheeled his sleeping body into a room where they’d posted me up.

No one blinked twice at my half-naked, cut-up state. I suppose if the staff tends to Sinro’s employees, they’ve seen far worse.

Isaac stopped by to drop off spare clothes and check in with me. I mumbled replies to his generic questions, assuring him that I was fine to watch over Cain for the evening.

In reality, I don’t think I’ve ever been so far from okay. The fall from adrenaline has me sinking deep into a pit. If I could untangle my emotions, maybe I could figure out what the fuck I was actually feeling because it’s too much all at once.

I spend the evening pacing the hospital and checking my phone for updates from Rev on the search for Jakey. By the time sunlight pours through the windows, creating what look like dreamsicles on the tiled floor—sleep deprivation at its finest—I’m running on empty. I’d nearly worn through the skin on my fingers, rubbing them over the gold coin I hadn’t realized I’d stolen from Mason’s pocket.

Something to remind me that he’s really gone.

Cain is dismissed shortly after a terrible hospital breakfast. I listen to the doctor’s strict orders on auto-pilot. Then I’m loading Cain into Rev’s truck in the connected parking garage, perspiration beading on my skin from the effort of supporting his massive body.

“I may have been out of it last night, but I could have sworn you parked on the sidewalk,” Cain says as I buckle him.

“I moved the car. Possibly twenty times last night,” I admit. “City parking is stupid.”

“Ezra.”

I ignore his weighted gaze, seeking to pry under my weak armor. “I’m fine. It’s fine. Everything’s fine.”

Of course it’s not, but we make it back to Sinro without another word. Isaac meets us at the garage elevator. He helps me drag Cain into his bed and forces pain meds into his mouth. I watch Cain settle in, aware of Isaac sneaking concerned glances at me. I’m so over it.

“Ezra, you should rest,” Isaac says. He’s perched on the edge of the bed by Cain’s feet.

“Not while Jakey’s still out there.”

“How about you wash up, then? I’ll make sure Cain stays in bed.”

I shake my head. Isaac doesn’t understand. Honestly, I just want him gone. I don’t want to talk. I don’t want to relive anything right now. I don’t know what I need, but I know it’s nothing anyone could offer me.

Feeling a prick of guilt, I lie and claim I’m hungry.

“Food. Okay.” Isaac nods. “That’s a good idea. I can grab something across the street.”

Isaac rushes out of the apartment like if he’s not quick, I might do something drastic. And that might be the plan. I hear the door click and rise from the edge of the bed, my heart sprinting in my chest.