CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CAIN

It’s already 7PM, and I’ve done little more than read over the same email a thousand times and move my mouse around my computer screen.

I wasn’t feeling up to leading a debriefing meeting after our shipyard operation, so I forced Rev to do it. I know I’ll get shit from him later. His coy little smile is already pissing me off, like he knows shit he shouldn’t. Which is impossible because he hasn’t seen Ezra today.

Can Rev sense when someone got off? Wouldn’t surprise me if that was his super power.

Just thinking about Ezra with his mouth around my cock has me half-hard under my desk. I have two choices. Force myself to work or abandon this futile goal and go home to play with him.

It’s hard for me to be selfish in this line of work, which is why I keep trying to fall back into my normal routine. This consuming thing with Ezra is becoming dangerous. We need to slow down. I need to slow down.

First thing this morning, though, I went and got tested. Not that I had any concern when I’ve been celibate for too long. Still, he offered up confirmation that he was good, and I want to be able to do the same.

Because I am going to fuck him.

Groaning at my lack of focus, I rock back in my chair. I swivel around to take in the view of the glistening city. Cars crawl along the patchwork of streets, crowded enough to alert me that it’s past time to clock out.

My desk phone rings. Without looking, I reach for it. “Yeah?”

“Cain,” Alaric says, his usual even tone off.

“Did you get in?” My heart lurches in my chest. I spin around to face my computer, scrolling through emails to make sure he hasn’t sent me anything, and I missed it.

“Oh, I got in,” Alaric says darkly. “Clever thinking on the tattoos. But, Cain? This shit… it’s next-level disturbing.”

For him to say that, after years of working at Sinro, brings a chill to my bones.

“Send it to me,” I order, already bracing for what I’m about to witness. Can’t be worse than what I’ve seen in this lifetime.

An email pops up on my computer. I click into it. My brows furrow at an archaic-looking snapshot of what appears to be a grocery list.

“I don’t know what I’m looking at. Explain.”

Keys pound in the background. “So, it looks like your standard list of non-important grocery items, right? But each item on the list is coded with details on where to pick up kids, Cain. It’s a shopping list for traffickers.”

My lungs compress. I hang up my desk phone to video chat Alaric instead, so I can watch him work through his screens at lightning speeds.

He clicks on the first item: Milk $2.96 x 13. Seemingly harmless, but then he clicks on the picture of a milk carton, revealing additional information that has nothing to do with a grocery store:

Mika Williams

296 Lynsey Rd

13 years old

“Jesus,” I utter.

There’s a folder with images of the child, too. I squeeze my eyes shut, grateful when I hear him click out because some of those pictures had to have been taken by family members.

He moves on to the next item: Wine $24.09 x 10

Wade Henderson

2409 Winston Ct