CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

CAIN

Ezra’s a mess when his call comes through.

There’s only cries and indistinguishable ramblings on the other end, and it drives my heart into a quick rhythm.

Alaric had informed me that the shelter Rev and Ezra arrived at was under Gabriel’s watch. Three other locations were, as well.

I would have preferred the firefight to the scene I’d busted into at Ezra’s previous foster home. Six children, malnourished and clad in soiled clothes.

Salem got them all out before I lost control and splattered the kitchen in the woman’s blood.

I hate that my teams are spread too thin tonight. I’m overwhelmed by the urge to be in several places at once.

But Ezra comes first. Always.

“Baby, what is it? What’s going on?” I demand, bolting for the SUV parked outside the foster home. I rip open the door and slide in, smashing down on the gas before I even have his location pulled up on my phone. Forest can hitch a ride with Salem.

“It’s so fucked.” Ezra sobs. “So fucking fucked.”

I slam the gas pedal to the floor, swerving through cars and red lights. “Just hold on, okay? I’m on my way. I’m coming for you.”

When I check his pin on my map, it shows me fifteen minutes away. It might as well be hours. This city’s too fucking big, and Ezra’s too far away for my comfort.

“Are you hurt?” I ask.

His little hiccups have my stomach lurching this way and that. Rev should have alerted me if something had gone south. What the fuck had happened?

All that matters right now is that Ezra’s still with me. Despite how much his call is shredding my insides, at least I know he’s alive. I can get to him. I can fix this.

“I’m sorry, Cain,” Ezra whispers. “I’m so pathetic. He…he’s going to hurt me again. He’s never going to let me go.”

Rage spills through me, and I white-knuckle the steering wheel. I growl. “Who’s going to hurt you, Ezra? Gabriel? I’ll flay him alive.”

No one is safe from me if I find a single mark on Ezra’s body. Hell, I might burn the entire city down tonight. It’s filled with scum, anyway.

His pin directs me toward an alley next to an upscale restaurant. What the fuck would he be doing here? My heart pounds in my throat as I ditch my vehicle in the middle of traffic and rush toward him.

Gun poised, I charge into the alley. Only when I’m certain it’s clear, do I let my gaze drop to Ezra. He’s curled into a ball in a dirty puddle, rocking back and forth with that toxic fucking energy that sets me on edge. His fingers spasm on top of his knees, and his hair has been tugged out into a wild mess like he’s been trying to rip it from his scalp.

Pretty sure my heart hits the bottom of my stomach. I can’t seem to push it back into place as I rush over to scoop up his cold, wet, shivering body.

“I’m here, baby. I won’t let you go,” I murmur, resting my forehead on his for a few painful breaths.

Questions burn on my tongue, but I put them in check. I need Ezra safe first. With him in tow, I dart back to the SUV, but Ezra clings to me when I try to place him in the passenger seat.