CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

EZRA

A Good boy apparently runs through exercises with a team of mercenaries in the lower levels of Sinro Enterprises.

Rev introduces me to his team. Kate, a tall, dark-haired, intimidating woman, appears to be his right-hand. She takes up barking out orders when Rev spends time going over signals with me. She doesn’t greet me like the others. I assume she thinks I’m deadweight.

But when Rev has me run through a training course on my own, set up to mimic infiltrating a house, I sneak in a window and take down all the targets without missing a shot. I do it in record time, spurred by the memory of my escape and what I witnessed on Cain’s computer.

“Alright, where’d you find this guy?” Kate asks.

“You should recognize someone from your own stomping grounds, Kate,” Rev replies, popping a wad of gum.

Her hawkish green eyes land on me, and I see a flicker of acknowledgement there. I give her a timid smile.

As a group, we run through another exercise to reach a victim locked up in a room at the center of a concrete maze. Half the team is designated to the rescue, and the other half are enemies.

It’s different to rely on others. Difficult to determine when that figure popping around the corner is a teammate and not a threat. I’ve only ever operated alone.

But our rescue squad manages to make it to the victim, and I pick the lock on the door before Kate can even get her kit out.

I can’t put into words the way this work makes me feel. I’m just satisfied to have purpose again. Jakey might not need me anymore, but there are other people out there that do.

Buzzing from the victory and coated in sweat, Rev checks his watch. “Mr. Vincent’s waiting for you. Good job today, pretty boy.”

“Thanks.” I grin, then book it for the stairs, racing all the way up to the seventeenth floor.

Sure enough, Cain’s sitting on a stool at the island, scrolling through his phone. He’s got on a pair of black slacks that hug his massive thighs and a dark v-neck sweater under his peacoat.

Walking in to him waiting on me makes my heart throb in the best way possible. I can imagine a future like this. Nights coming home from work where we get to cook dinner and work out and shoot guns and fuck around with each other.

Cain looks me over and cocks a brow. “Go good, then?”

“So good.” I nod. “Need a shower.”

Darting for the bathroom, I scrub my body clean. I pull on the fanciest hunter green sweater Eduardo picked out for me and fitted black jeans with my combat boots.

Cain interlocks our hands and leads me out of the building to a flurry of snow tumbling from the sky. I drop my head back and let out a wild laugh as snowflakes kiss and melt on my skin. I know I have to be in a dream. Shit like this doesn’t happen to me. I was never meant to have a happy ending.

Cain draws me against his chest. “What’s going on in that head of yours?”

“I think… I’m happy.”