CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

EZRA

Cain juggles me between his staff over the next two weeks.

I know he’s trying to keep me distracted while he refocuses on hunting Gabriel. According to Rev, they have teams spread out day and night searching for him, but the shipyard raid must have spooked him. There’s been no trace of the crime lord since.

I have my first session with Isaac. Instead of diving into shit that makes my stomach curdle, we go out for wings and beer, as agreed upon when I demolished him in cards. I don’t know if he’s being strategic and trying to create a base foundation of trust between us, or if he actually wants to be friends. Maybe he’s just a foodie.

When I hesitated at the entrance of the building, stressed about putting Isaac in danger being seen with me in the city, he just laughed me off.

“I’m a competitive shooter, Ezra. When I’m not in the office or competing, I snipe shit stains from rooftops for shits and giggles.”

Definitely related to Cain.

While I’m starkly aware of Cain’s absences in the mornings, Rev pushes me to the limit in the gym every afternoon. In total, I’ve gained four solid pounds of muscle—and a couple pounds of fat—since Sinro locked me in that meeting room. It’s a noticeable difference on my lean frame.

But it also means I have more energy. With Cain working late nights, I end up channeling that destruction into target practice at the gun range until I’m ready to pass out or I run out of ammunition. By some magic, ammunition boxes are replenished the next day, as if bullets grow on trees around here.

I also get a full day of rest to spend with Jakey. I nap on the carpeted floor of his little home under the watchful eye of Salem, smirking as the two of them shout at a football game on the TV.

Salem joins us for dinner. She gracefully dodges my questions about her jobs, but I’m still hopeful that one day I can assist her.

Unwilling to return to an empty apartment when Salem finally drops me back off at Sinro Enterprises, I hit the elevator button for the thirteenth floor.

The office is silent, with the exception of Cain’s keyboard clacking away. I peek my head into his doorway. When he finally notices me, his eyes drag up and down my body in appreciation.

“Ezra,” he says in the low, sensual tone he saves for me.

“Hi,” I whisper back.

Cain lifts his chin to motion me over, and I move around his desk to nestle on his lap. He doesn’t try to hide his computer screen from me, just studies me as I take in details of a missing child report.

This time I’m prepared, though. The chaotic energy that lives in my veins has been drained by all of my recent activities.

“I want to do more. Please.” Taking his stubbled cheeks in my hands, I place kisses all over him. His dark brows. His strong cheeks. His beautiful lips. “I’m tired of shooting paper targets. I’ve been doing so good.”

“You little minx,” he hums. “No need for persuasion tactics.”

He skims a hand up my spine, clasping it around my neck to pull me into a kiss. It leaves me in a daze, and I blink back at him.