CHAPTER TWELVE

EZRA

Cain’s acting weird.

He retrieved me for lunch, pretending to be all huffy about it, when he made it clear this morning that he would be gone all day.

Which means he’s choosing to spend time with me and trying to appear pissed off about it.

Cain guides me out the front doors. Bitter cold wind strikes me, shocking my body and reminding me this is where I belong. Out here on the streets, uncomfortable and driven by a constant need to survive. Not holed up in Sinro Enterprises, offered a fluffy bed and eating takeout with trained murderers.

Is Jakey doing alright? Can I trust that Rev is taking care of him?

“So, are all your employees… you know?” I ask, jogging to catch up to Cain’s long stride.

“No. Some just wanted desk jobs, but all of them know what we do. Most were hand-selected. Given a second chance out of the military when they couldn’t fit in with the real world.”

I offer him a smile. “That’s really fricken noble, Cain.”

He whirls on me, shoving me up against the bricks of a store. People turn their attention on us but speed up their pace, not eager to jump in on a fight with him. Cain’s over six feet tall and solid muscle.

“This is not an opportunity for you to pick your way further under my skin. You’re lucky I’m allowing you out of that building. Your last breath should have been in that alley.”

I slump in his grip, letting him hold some of my weight, a little bit turned on by his closeness. He smells like his body wash. Eucalyptus. I know because I used it. There’s a dark shadow of stubble on his face today, which isn’t helping dial down his sex appeal.

For once, I keep my sass bottled up. I don’t want him to change his mind about our arrangement. Don’t want him to view me as someone trying to destroy his business or his personal life.

But if he was doubting my intentions, why would he take me to lunch?

He releases me with a scowl and stalks off. I struggle to keep pace as he cuts into a mom and pop sandwich shop. The front is all glass windows, and there’s a red and white awning that blocks out the sun, keeping the interior chilly.

“My man, Cain,” the burly man behind the counter bellows. He has dark hair, a beard, and tattooed arms that clash with his red polo and white apron. Instantly, I’m put at ease by his personable smile. “Good to see you, Mr. Vincent. How’s business in that ivory tower of yours?”

“Lenny,” Cain greets with a nod. “Steady as usual. You doing good?”

Lenny waves a giant bread knife. “Never been better! How’s the crew? All their parts and pieces still intact?”

Cain offers the first smile I’ve seen touch his eyes, and I’m captivated by it. Rendered speechless as my heart chugs heavy beats and my breath hitches.

He’s beautiful all the time, but when he’s not trying to hide his warmth under scowls and shadows, he’s stunning. More brilliant than the sun.

I ache to have that smile directed at me.

“Doing good,” Cain replies, resting a hand on the deli counter. “Rev’s still a thorn in my side. Salem’s a godsend. I can’t get Henry to take a day off. And my brothers are the same. Isaac’s booked up most days, and Alaric’s content to lurk in the blue light of his tech dungeon. Wish he would socialize more.”

“And you?” Lenny asks, cocking a bushy brow. “Find someone to dull that razor-edged nature of yours?”

I creep around Cain’s side a bit more, not wanting to miss anything in his expression. “No time for that, Lenny.”