CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

EZRA

I sleep like the living dead, all thanks to Cain fucking me in every way imaginable last night. His determination to wring me of toxic emotions and pent-up energy, while striving to not aggravate either of our wounds, was enviable. Gold medal level, really.

Maybe a little of it was punishment for refusing to go to the ER for stitches. I settled on Isaac’s steady hand to fix me up instead.

Eyes still closed, I let my hand drift to Cain’s side of the bed. I lurch upright when I discover his spot empty. I groan at the pain in my muscles, not just from our sex marathon, but yesterday’s operation, too.

I drag my ass into the closet to get dressed, chuckling at the new clothes shoved onto my side of the rack. He literally cannot stop pampering me.

Out of defiance, I steal one of his gray t-shirts and pair it with skinny black joggers and my combat boots.

I expect to find Cain in the kitchen, sipping a cup of coffee, but there’s only a travel mug of coffee next to a handwritten note to check in at the office.

Face scrunched in confusion, I grab the warm travel mug and load into the elevator. It’s probably not professional to show up to the office in loungewear, but Cain’s already disclosed to everyone about our relationship. And since I was never officially hired on at Sinro Enterprises, no one can complain that I get special treatment.

Not that they would when Cain’s best friend heads up HR.

The doors ding open on the thirteenth floor. Gwen glances up at me from her desk. She gives me a big smile and two thumbs up.

“Hi, Gwen. How are you this morning?”

“So lovely, dear. You look… well-slept.” She giggles. “Cain’s waiting in the meeting room for you.”

I sneak by her desk, prepared to throw myself at Cain. But when I stride into the meeting room, a crowd of employees greet me. Salem waves from her spot next to the counter, littered with boxes of pastries and juice. Rev spins in a chair, beaming at me. Rorik mumbles something while his mouth is stuffed with donuts, and Forest looks at him with disgust. Isaac and Alaric are locked in a battle over the last sprinkled holiday donut in the box.

And Cain heads up the show, positioned at the table in his pristine suit, dark hair styled and deep brown eyes burning into my soul.

I notice several things laid out on the meeting table. A bulletproof vest, military boots, a fancy black bag from a suit shop, an open case with shiny new guns, and an ID badge on a lanyard.

“What’s this about?” I ask, looking everyone over.

“It’s your first official day at Sinro Enterprises,” Rev explains.

My gaze darts back to Cain, seeking answers in his hard expression. Underneath that glacial coldness is more kindness and love than I could have ever imagined.

“First official day?” My brows furrow.

“Paychecks and benefits and everything,” Rev says. “You’re already in the system.”

“Unless you’d rather not take the job.” Cain cuts Rev a stern look, giving me the choice to back out. Always giving me choices. Something no one else has ever done.

I can’t help the overflow of tears. They spill down my cheeks, and I swipe at them as they tickle my jaw.

“Aw, Ezra. I told them springing this on you might be overwhelming,” Salem says, coming over to pull me into a gentle side hug.

“No, it’s good. I’m just so fucking happy.”

Before I know what’s happening, Cain has me in his arms. He claims me with a deep kiss that makes Rev bleh in feigned disgust.

“Bossman never stood a chance with this one,” Rev mutters.

“Called it first,” Alaric replies.

Cain breaks our kiss to search my face. “No pressure, baby.”

I let out an airy laugh. “I got to set a building on fire yesterday. So that’s a big hell yes I’ll take the job. Did you buy all of these guns for me?”

Cain presses a warm kiss to my neck. “Everything is for you, beautiful boy. My heart included.”