CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

EZRA

I wake up to the apartment door clicking shut.

Mornings without Cain suck, but I can’t mope around. I slip on a t-shirt and ripped black jeans before stepping out into the kitchen to find a mug of hot coffee and a plate of french toast on the counter.

My heart swoops in my chest. He fucking spoils me.

After devouring the meal, I head for the gun range. There’s nothing quite like unloading explosives at paper targets shaped like aliens with dumb faces. I imagine they’re Gabriel or his masked cronies or predators, like the man who bought me and locked me away for his own personal, sadistic enjoyment.

Emptying a magazine, I flick it to the side and shove another full magazine in at lightning speed, feeling a rush of adrenaline. This is where I belong. Finger on a trigger, gun aimed at sin. It makes me feel alive to think that maybe all the shit I’d gone through was necessary to get me to this exact point in my life.

Maybe I should start unpacking some of these thoughts on Isaac, because I’m not sure they are healthy.

When I turn to retrieve more ammunition, I discover I have an audience. Rev’s leaned up against the wall by the door. He’s dressed in black cargo pants and a black jacket with a bulletproof vest. His face is void of emotion.

“Um, hi,” I say. “What am I doing wrong?”

Rev looks me over with indifference. “Nothing, Ezra. Absolutely nothing. We’ve got a job tonight.”

“We?” My brows lift, and a thrill shoots through my veins. “You serious?”

“You already shoot like you’ve been doing this for years. You can wriggle your way out of holds in the ring. You can pick locks. You don’t fear pain. And, I know you’ll be highly motivated to fuck Gabriel up when the time comes to take him down.”

My heart leaps. “When do we leave?”

“Right now. Bring your gun, lover boy.”

Excitement buzzes under my skin as we ride the elevator down to the lower levels. Rev scans his hand on a pad outside a heavy metal door revealing what looks like a locker room, only for murderers. Dozens of mercenaries glance my way. I recognize some from training with Rev.

Rev waves me over to the row of metal cubbies along the wall. “This gear should fit you. Suit up. I’ll fill you in on the operation shortly.”

I reach for the vest and grunt at the surprising weight of it.

“Tomorrow, we start exercising with gear on,” Rev says with a frown.

“You got it,” I reply with a nod.

“Pretty Ezra.” Rev pinches my cheek. “Cain tried convincing me that you’re too much of a brat to fit in on my team, but you take orders exceptionally well.”

“I act up for Cain in hopes that it will result in sexual punishment.”

Rev tips his head back and lets out a hearty laugh, striding away to collect his own gear.

Nerves kicking in under the scrutiny of trained killers, my obsessive time in the gym and gun range suddenly doesn’t feel like enough. Just how big is this operation? Are we taking Gabriel out tonight?