16

M I K A E L A

When David puts me in Harry's arms, my body is completely calm. My breathing returns to normal, and I've stopped shaking. I've never had this happen before. It usually takes 30-45 minutes to get me calm. One time, it took over an hour to get me calm. But this time, as soon as I was back in Harry's arms, I was at complete peace.

Nicole asks the question I bet everyone in this room was thinking. "What just happened? She's fine now that she's in Harry's arms." I think long and hard before saying. "I'm not exactly sure, but that night after, I told him I had no nightmares. We had worship music playing the entire night, and I was in his arms the entire night. That's the only time that ever happened. Every other time, I told someone I had nightmares for days after. Something about the mixture of worship music and Harry always calms me."

Everyone looks at me like I'm some fascinating discovery, making me uncomfortable. "Would you all please stop staring. Also, don't be mad at Gracie. I know that she's the one whose words were the start of this, but it was simply just the first domino to fall. I've been a bit on edge since I returned to Dallas." I take a moment to breathe before I continue.

"I found out that my stepdad is trying to appeal his case to get out of prison early, and it stirred up a lot of feelings, and I tried not to think about it, but when Gracie asked that question, it was like a wrecking ball into my facade of I'm okay. Please don't beat yourself up about this, Gracie. I forgive you, and I'm grateful for what happened. I knew I needed to tell you guys I just didn't know how to do it, and Gracie provided the perfect opportunity for me to say something." I finished explaining, took a deep breath, and melted into Harry's arms.

"Look, Gracie, I'm sorry that I yelled at you. It's just seeing her so hurt and broken again made me so mad. Not at you but at the person who always comes..." Nicole gets choked up trying to say these words. "The person who always comes to hurt her every time something good happens in her life. And I can't do anything to change the past, but I wish I could. So, I'm sorry for taking my anger out on you. I love you." Nicole runs over to Gracie and holds her tight.

I see the anger on David's face. I know this is hurting him a lot. I wish that I hadn't had to say anything, but I know that I'm going to need these people to hold me up.

The next thing out of my mouth is, "Do you want me to explain what's going to happen?" David nods and I take a deep breath knowing this is not going to be easy.

"So this morning I woke up to an email from my stepdad's attorney saying that he put in an appeal to get my stepdad out of prison early and the judge allowed it. He explained that there will be a trial to determine whether he is innocent or guilty. He was basically giving me a heads up that I will be subpoenaed and will be required to testify to the events of that night. I was absolutely terrified when I read the email but I didn't feel strong enough to tell you guys. I was going to wait until I got a subpoena and pretend I didn't know what was going on. I'm sorry for not seeing that you guys are the only thing that will get me through this. I just want you to know that I love you very much and I appreciate all that you've done for me."

By the time I've finished explaining I'm engulfed by everyone in the room. The next person to speak is David. "We'll be here every step of the way. Remember you can always come to us and you're always welcome to stay here if you need to."