Chapter 6: Cute Coworkers

The next day was my first day at my new internship.  Sadly, I wouldn’t get to practice any medicine because I haven’t been through med school, but having the chance to shadow doctors and observe surgeries was really exciting.

I didn’t recognize anyone as the intern coordinator passed out our scrubs and handed us packets with the days we had to work and the doctors we would be shadowing each week.

“This is crazy, we’ve already been in school three years and we have to go for five more years before we can even start to actually do anything medically related” A girl with crazy long red curls said as we changed into our scrubs in the locker room.

“Agreed.  The number of years of school alone, plus the years of residency makes me wonder why I ever decided I wanted to be a doctor, but then I walk into a hospital and I can’t imagine working anywhere else” I answered as I locked my locker.

“Exactly.  I mean the thought of sitting in a cubicle all day makes me yawn from boredom already.  I’m Hannah by the way” She offered me her hand.

“Kayla.  Who are you with this week?” I checked my packet.

“Dr. Schmitz in pediatrics” she consulted her own packet.

“Me too!  Looks like we’ll be on the same rotation this summer” I was thankful to now know a friendly face.

“Great, I think there should be one more person on the same rotation as us” Hannah looked around as if the third person would suddenly present themselves.

“Alright everyone stop talking.  Now.  I’m Dr. Richards and I am in charge of all of you for the summer.  Lucky me.  You will be seen and not heard.  You have limited medical knowledge given that you haven’t actually attended medical school; therefore, you will not touch any patients or offer them any medical advice whatsoever.  Are we clear?” an older woman who was probably in her sixties barked at us.  Her white hair was pulled back into a tight bun and she wore a permanent frown on her face.

We all mumbled a quiet “yes m’am”.

“Now report to the doctor you will be shadowing this week.  If I hear of any misbehavior or infractions you will be kicked out of this program no questions asked.  Now get moving.  Now” She pivoted on her heel and strutted out of the room with a crew of nurses following in her wake.

“I’m Dr. Schmitz, and I am the head of pediatric surgery.  Don’t let Dr. Richards scare you.  She’s intense and means what she says, but she has a soft spot for little kids so she can’t be all bad.  Why don’t you introduce yourselves before we get started” a man in his forties with salt and pepper hair and a kind face handed us each a clipboard with information on all of his current patients.

“I’m Hannah Brown, I’ll be starting my fourth year at UNC in the fall, and I want to be an oncologist after med school” Hannah’s crazy red curls definitely matched her personality.  She was practically bouncing up and down on her toes in anticipation.

“I’m Kayla Ryans, I’ll be a senior at Johns Hopkins in the fall, and I want to be a surgeon, specifically in cardio, after med school” I received a reassuring nod from Dr. Schmitz.

“I’m Scott Marshall, I’ll be a senior at Penn in the fall, and I’ll go into orthopedic surgery” a tall guy with dark brown hair, and a scruffy beard came up behind me.  He had piercing blue eyes that left me speechless for a second.

“Well now that we all know each other we can start our rounds” Dr. Schmitz led us through the hospital.

“Is it just me or are any of us assigned to Dr. Richards basically screwed?” Scott leaned in between Hannah and I.