Chapter 7: When the Best Friend Meets the Boyfriend

My door burst open at 7 o'clock on Saturday morning and someone was singing American Pie at the top of their lungs. You guessed it, it was Paige.

"What are you doing? It is way too early for this. Come to think of it, it's always too early for your singing. I need sleep" I groaned before covering my head with my pillow.

"Get up, we are going for a run. We both need exercise, and I need to hear all about the hot doctor you have wrapped around your finger" Paige went digging through my dresser before throwing shorts, a sports bra, and a t shirt at me.

"I love a good run as much as the next person, but... wait a minute what am I saying? I hate running especially in the morning. All running is good for is shin splints, so I'll pass" I burrowed back under my blankets, but of course Paige wasn't one to give up.

"Go on a run with me, or I'll show up at the hospital and tell your hot new friend how much you've been talking about him" Paige threatened.

"I'm up, I'm up. Give me five minutes to change" I snatched the clothes off the bed and hurried into the bathroom. Paige didn't make threats lightly, and getting embarrassed in front of a hot guy was not on my summer bucket list.

Once I was up and out the door I had to admit it was nice to take advantage of the day, so I didn't feel like I was wasting hours in my room.

"So Jake or Scott?" Paige dropped the bomb as we hit the one mile mark.

"What kind of a question is that? Jake and I can't even have a sane conversation, and I just met Scott yesterday. Neither one of those are eminent relationships, you're a loon" I rolled my eyes at the idiot jogging next to me.

"If you would just talk to Jake about what happened I'm sure you two could work things out and at least be friends, possibly more. As for Scott, girl you need to work fast. I mean a hot soon to be doctor that is a smooth talker and is good with kids is going to get snatched up fast. He fancies you so if that's the path you want to go down I would make a move while you still have the chance" I don't understand how Paige can talk so much while she's running.

"Did you just use the word fancies?" I chuckled.

"Kayla would you focus please" Paige scowled at me.

"I told you talking with Jake isn't going to work, and as for Scott I mean as of now he looks practically perfect, but I barely know him. I'm not looking for a relationship right now. I am perfectly fine on my own" I explained.

"Miss Independent, you do realize you can have a boyfriend and still be all 'in control of your life right?'" Paige mocked me.

"Yes, I know that, but why would I want a boyfriend right now? I'll be back in Baltimore for school in three months, I'm working two jobs, and I just want to relax and have fun this summer" my shins were already in pain. Stupid running.

"You can have fun with a boyfriend" Paige pointed out.

"That is not the point. The point is relationships create drama and complications that I don't want in my life right now. Can you please let me be happy and single?" I begged as we finished the run. I grabbed two waters out of the fridge in the garage before Paige and I plopped down in the grass.

"Fine, but that means you have to third wheel tonight" Paige practically chugged her water.

"What are you talking about? I have a date with Charlotte and Netflix tonight" I was not ashamed to admit that.

"You're going to dinner with Stephen and I? He's only in town for a couple nights, and I really want you to meet him. Kayla we made these reservations weeks ago. You promised you'd be there" Paige was clearly frustrated with me.