Chapter 10: Plot Twists Causing Whiplash

For those of you who don't follow me and didn't see my post earlier sorry about the late update! I'll be back to the normal Wednesday Saturday update schedule this week!

"Paige a word please" as soon as I got to the beach on Monday I grabbed Paige and pulled her away from the courts.

"Oh boy we knew you would either be mad or thrilled. This looks like mad" Paige backed away slowly.

"Of course I'm mad. What the hell were you and Tyler thinking? How could you possibly believe that sending Jake and I to the same restaurant could've gone well?" I was trying to keep my composure because the kids would be arriving soon.

"Well Tyler and I figured when you two saw each other with someone else you would either be insanely jealous and know you still had feelings for each other, or you would realize you don't care and you're actually over each other. So which was it?" Paige's twisted logic actually made some sense.

"I don't know" I admitted.

"What do you mean you don't know? Were you jealous when you saw him with Mary?"

"Yes of course I was jealous, more than I'd like to admit" I was pacing now.

"So then why don't you try and fix things with Jake?" Paige was getting really excited. I knew she and Tyler would never be satisfied with Jake and I avoiding each other.

"Because it's not that simple. You remember what Jake did. I can't go through that again. Jake and I were never compatible. We're too different. We have different plans, but Scott and I have so much in common. If Jake and I get back together one of us is going to get hurt again, but with Scott it's a fresh start" I was tired of explaining this over and over again. I just wanted to move on.

"Fine I understand, but just remember you don't feel jealous for no reason" Paige squeezed my hand reassuringly before heading off to her court.

The day had barely started, and I was already exhausted. I had to get through camp and a full afternoon at the hospital before I had a break.

Thankfully Billy was on vacation, so he wasn't there to disrupt everything. The kids behaved much better when he wasn't there corrupting them.

We managed to get through the morning with no injuries, and most of the parents showed up to retrieve their kids on time.

I was heading to my car when I heard a voice shout from behind me.

"Kayla. Can we talk?" Jake ran up to me.

"Jake, I'm sorry I can't do this right now. I have to be at work in half an hour" I subconsciously fixed my hair.

"Just let me explain, my-" Jake grabbed my hand to stop me from climbing into my car.

"I wish I could be your friend Jake, but I can't. It's too hard, and I've realized through all of this that I'm the only one who can protect myself from getting hurt. Scott and I are together now, and that's best for everyone. Bye Jake" I gently pulled my hand from his grasp before climbing into my car.

I tried to stop the tears welling up in my eyes from spilling over. I missed him, boy did I miss him. Whenever something bad happened, or even something wonderful, my first instinct was to call Jake. Not being able to anymore was harder than I ever expected, but not nearly as hard as those first few weeks without him were. I wasn't going through that again.

"We're with Dr. Jones this week" Scott handed me a coffee after I changed into my scrubs and met him and Hannah.

"The head of cardio?" I couldn't believe I forgot. I had been looking forward to this week since the internship started. I wanted to specialize in cardio, and now I had the opportunity to spend a week with one of the best surgeons in the business.