2.8

I'm almost too high for this
I see your paranoia, I know it's scandalous
Take a little dip of the candyYou were supposed to get married

Lust, Chase Atlantic

"You know these two?" Sheriff Peterkin slid two pieces of paper on the table, mugshots of the men who broke into John B's house printed on them. 

"Yeah. They chased us through the marsh the other day. Then they broke into John B's house. I have no idea what their names are though." I said, looking up at her. 

"Here's another photo. Somebody gaffed them, used their bodies for chum. Here's the bad news though. Whoever killed these two men is still out there, and I got reason to believe that the next target is a friend of yours, John B. You kids don't think you're the only ones after the Royal Merchant now, do you? And yeah, I know about that too."

~~~

I sat in the lobby of the police station, watching as Luke signed for JJ.

"You his guardian?" The cop asked, putting papers on the counter in front of him.

"Sorry to say I'm his father." Luke scoffed. 

"Well, the hearing will be in two weeks, if you don't show up you will forfeit bail. The restitution will be based on the average of three outside estimates of the cost of the damaged article."

"Restitution?" Luke asked. 

"To pay for what he broke. It's part of the plea."

Luke turned and glared at JJ. I fiddled with the hem of my jean shorts, watching the interaction. 

"Yeah, and sign right here please." 

Luke signed the last page and looked at JJ. 

"Let's go. Now." Luke left the building, JJ following slowly behind.

I stood up and walked away, ignoring the questioning glance from him.

"Sheriff?" I knocked on the door to her office. 

"Blake, what can I do for you?" She asked, leaning against her desk.

"I want to pay JJ's restitution." I said. "It was my idea to sink the boat after Topper and Rafe jumped us." I gestured to the bruises on my arms and the bruise on my jaw. 

"We both know that JJ isn't going to like that now, little girl." She said, crossing her arms. "I'm not going to stop you, but 30k is a lot of money."

"I have money saved up. College funds I probably won't use." I roll my eyes. "I can pay it." 

~~~~

45 minutes later, and I was sitting on the dock, watching as John B and JJ fought. I glanced behind and saw Shoupe waiting in his car, just watching.

I laughed a little and hopped up, going over to the HMS Pouge and climbing on, laying back against the seat. 

"You guys are fucking drenched, bro." 

"Shit happens. Someone is sitting in a car just watching the Chateau." JJ said quickly, lying down and untying the ropes. 

~~~

"First, I almost get strangled to death by Kooks, and now I'm on the hook for 30 grand." JJ said, throwing his hands in the air after we got away from the Chateau. "We should just dip."