Chapter 4

The next day I woke up to a bunch of texts from Josephine telling me to come by her house this morning to have breakfast and go swimming.

I yawned as I got out of bed. 'Yesterday felt like a dream.' I thought, as I picked some shorts out of my dresser to wear.

I went to the closet and grabbed my one piece swim suit and a t-shirt.

My family was very religious and didn't believe in things like showing too much skin or worrying about having things like a boyfriend before marriage. That's why I was very surprised when my parents decided to allow me to date so early.

I yawned again as I made my way to the bathroom down the hall.

Once I was in the bathroom, I did my business before taking my pajamas off and putting on my new set of clothes. I made sure my hair was up today before brushing my teeth.

When I was done in the bathroom, I went downstairs where my mom was in the kitchen making breakfast. My dad must've been at work because he was nowhere to be found.

"Hey sleepy head." My mom said when she saw me.

I flopped down on one of the bar stools in the kitchen. "Don't make me a plate. I'm having breakfast at Josephine's house."

"I take it that's where you want me to take you?" She said once she processed what I just said.

"If you don't mind."

"I don't mind as long as you drive."

I've been practicing driving with my parents ever since I turned fifteen. I wouldn't say I'm the best driver, but I wouldn't say I'm the worst one either.

"Okay, I'll drive." I said checking my phone before getting up.

"Oh, we're leaving now? Let me go get the keys." She said running to her room real quick.

When she came back she had a jacket on over her pajamas and the car key in her hands.

She tossed me the keys before we went out the door.

***

"Let me know when you're ready to be picked up." My mom yelled out the window of the driver seat.

I waved at her before heading towards the door of Josephine's house.

I noticed that the door was cracked opened a bit.

"Hello? Josephine?" I said, pushing the door open and walking in.

When I got no reply I closed the door behind me and tried again.

"Josephine, are you home? It's me, Melody."

I still got no reply. I was about to pull my phone out when I heard a cough as if someone was clearing their throat come from upstairs.

I moved to go up the stairs when I saw Aizen sitting at the top of the stairs.

He gave me a small smirk but didn't say anything.

"Is Josephine home?" I said, surprised I didn't stumble on my words.

"She and my aunt took my sister bathing suit shopping."

"And your uncle?"

"He's at in the back working on the yard."

I gave him a nod, thankful that he answered all those questions.

But I wasn't done. There was still one more question I needed to ask him.

I made my way up the steps and sat down in the small space next to him.

We didn't look at each other. He looked straight forward and I looked outside the sliding glass door at the pool in the backyard as  I mustered up the courage to ask him the question.

"Look at me."

His head turned towards me and his gaze pierced mine. His eyes were so blue.

"Did you mean any of it?" I asked.

"Any of what?"

"The things you said before you ghosted me."

"Yes, I meant them Melody."

"Then why didn't you text me back?"

"Because I forgot."

It felt like my heart stopped.

"How can you forget to text someone you supposedly have feeling for?"

"It just kind of happened."

When he said that, I realized that he didn't care. He didn't care about me or my feelings. Had it always been this way and I just didn't notice? Was I just a summer fling to him? No, I couldn't have been. We messaged each other everyday. We FaceTimed every night. You don't give someone who's just a fling that much of your time. 'It was real,' I tried to convince myself.

Josephine and the others came home before I could
unleash my emotions on him.

I was so angry I couldn't think straight. My next question was supposed to be if he cheated on me, but I guess that didn't matter now because I know how he truly felt about me.

I got up from the stairs and made my way to the door.

"Oh, so I take it you saw my messages." Josephine said cheerfully. She was always so happy, I don't know if it was anger from everything that's happened in the last couple of days or what, but I didn't want to deal with her today.

I shoved past her almost knocking the one of the shopping bags out of her hand and walking out the door.

I did the same thing I did yesterday. I walked to the park and sat on the swings until my mom came and picked me up.