PILOT

published: 6-22-2024

*bold=french (hehe)

Alyssa Jackson was always meant to be a detective. From a young age, she'd solve mysteries and watch cop TV shows. When she was older, she graduated the Academy with flying colors, and became a detective very early on.

A few years ago, Alyssa had a tough case against Jimmy 'The Butcher' Figgis. But she always managed to lose him. So when the FBI announced that they needed someone to go undercover and work for Figgis, she took that chance.

It took her four years to finally finish her work. And she hadn't even caught Figgis.

Currently, Alyssa was getting some coffee from the French vendeur near her house. She had placed her police badge for all to see, glad she could be herself again.

She placed her elbows on the table. "Salut, monsieur!" She greeted the vendeur.

"Ah, Mademoiselle Jackson, ça a ete beaucoup trop long! Votre commande, c'est la même?" The vendeur asked, smiling.

"Oui, je voudrais une café crème, s'il vous plaït." Alyssa recited her order. "Et le nom est Emi-uhm, Alyssa, d'accord?"

~~~

Alyssa watched Amy erase part of a whiteboard and write on top of it '24' is tiny handwriting. Sergeant Jeffords, or Terry, grabbed the attention of the meeting. 

"I have an exciting announcement," He gestured to Alyssa. "Detective Alyssa Jackson has finally returned after years of hunting down Jimmy 'The Butcher' Figgis. Well done!" Everyone clapped as she stolled up.

"I'm back, bitches!" Alyssa shouted, and Gina, her friend from middle school, flew into her arms. She whispered in Alyssa's ear, "Did you stab some people?" and Alyssa nodded. Jake Peralta, Alyssa's partner, high-fived her.

"Hell yeah!" Amy shoved her fist in the air, "Nine-Nine!" No one repeated her. Alyssa grinned, "Next time, Amy. Next time." Amy hugged her.

Charles showed Alyssa a bunch of photos of his weird humping dog, and she smiled awkwardly, giving him a hug. 

"Det. Jackson," Terry got everyone to sit back down amid all the excitement, "Your desk is next to Diaz's, all right? I think there's a box of your stuff on it." Alyssa nodded.

Captain Raymond Holt stepped up to the podium. "Nice to meet you, Detective Jackson," Alyssa cracked a smile nervously. She was never good with authority figures.

~~~

Once the briefing ended, Alyssa set up her stuff on her desk. She crinkled her eyes contentedly. Murder, She Wrote coffee mug, computer, rainbow and pansexual flags, but no photos of her family. Ever since the undercover stint, Alyssa refused to keep photos of her family. Too risky. Too personal.

"Hey," Rosa Diaz muttered strangely. Alyssa looked up at the curly-haired woman. Her leather jacket shone in the flickering lights of the 99th Precinct, and her serious expression reminded Alyssa a bit too much of her father.

"Hey," Alyssa echoed, sitting in her chair uncomfortably. She opened her computer silently and was scrolling through cat memes when she heard the Captain's door close.

Alyssa wheeled her chair over to Gina, who was on her phone. "Gigi," I pulled the screen away from her eyes. "What's up buttercup?" Gina asked, glancing at her manicure.

They glanced through Capt. Holt's window. He was talking with Sarge about something. "You got a bug in Holt's room?" Gina winked, "Who do you think I am, bitch?" She pressed a button, which began playing the sounds of Sarge and Holt's voices.