18

(N) looks at various posters and sweats. 'Man. Every apartment here is expensive.' "Hey (N)!" The male turns around to see Yuki and Yuna. "Hey, you two. Yuna you coming home from school?" "Yes. How's Myles." The three sit down on a bench as (N) answers. "He's doing good. He goes to school every day." "I'm glad. You know we should plan to hang out again sometime."

"Sure. Sounds good." Yuki leans over her sister and grins at (N). "Still freeloading at the Asumi's?" "Sister!" (N) chuckles and scratches his cheek. "Actually I was out here looking for an apartment but they're all expensive." Yuna gasps and smiles. "A friend of mine has an older brother moving out. Though the building is old and the rents pretty cheap." (N)'s eyes widen and he stands up. "That's great! Tell me more!"
-
-
"Takashi! Takashi!" (N) yells while running up to the man. (N) pants while hunched over huffing. "I! I want to work for you! I'll work really hard!"
-
-
"Well look at you. All grown up." Ash says and Clara smiles. "If that's what you want. We'll support you (N)." The male smiles at the women. "I'm truly grateful for all you two have done for me but I'm an adult now." Ash lights a cigarette with a serious look. "You got enough money?" "I've got some saved up."
-
-
"Ah! Hey. Why're we playing catch? What about the shop?" (N) asks as he catches the baseball and throws it to Ash. She catches it and looks at (N). "Look, kid. Being an adult can be hard so if you need anything don't hesitate to ask me for anything." "Thank you. I appreciate that it means a lot to me. Ah!" Ash chuckles as (N) lunges to catch the ball. "Ha! I guess you aren't so immature after all."

The two play catch for a bit until (N) holds the ball and stares at it. He looks at Ash with a serious expression. "Would you let me take Myles with me someday?" Ash takes off her gloves and picks up her bat. "That isn't for me to decide. He's old enough to make his own decision. Now. Give me your best pitch!" 'Huh. Would he even say yes?' (N) shakes his head and reels his arm back. "Annnnd! Home run!" Ash grins but flinches as the sound of a window breaking echoed through the park.

"Oh shit!" "You did it again! Unbelievable!" "Quick go apologize I uh have to get back to work!" Ash runs out of the park as (N) groans. "You suck old woman!"
-
-
-
-
"Woah woah woah! Hey hey hey! Careful! Careful!" Ash yells as Myles opens the door and looks around in awe. "Wow." (N) pokes his head around the dresser and chuckles. "It's pretty ugly right?" "No. I think it's nice." Ash groans and shifts the dresser. "Can you two talk later? This thing is freaking heavy!" "Sorry! Let's put it in this room!"

The small apartment is filled with furniture and Ash yawns as she walks to the front door. (N) and Myles stands in front of her. "Thank you for the furniture Auntie I'm extremely grateful." Myles blushes as Ash waves her hand. "Yeah sure it's not like we needed it anyway. Myles. Don't stay out too late." "Yes ma'am." The door closes and the couple stand awkwardly.

(N) gulps and flinches when Myles turns to him. "You go sit down. I'll make tea." "Y-Yea. Thanks." (N) sits in his living room as Myles hums a song before singing. 'It's like we're married.' (N) blushes and mumbles. "It'd be nice if that would happen." "Sorry did you say something?" "Oh uh! I said what song are you singing?" Myles sits down beside (N) with two cups of tea.

"The big Dango family song! The dangos are so cute!" "Not as cute as you." Myles blushes and smiles. "I'm not cute." "Oh. How about adorable?" (N) chuckles as Myles's face burns red.
-
-
"I'll see you tomorrow." "Yup. Umm (N)?" "Yes?" Myles shifts under the streetlight. "I know you haven't talked to your dad for a while but you should let him know that you moved." (N) smiles softly and pats Myles's head. "You're right. I'll give him a call later." "Okay. Good night!" "Good night." (N) watches Myles walk down the sidewalk before going back home. The male tosses and turns in his bed. 'First night alone. I'm an adult now. I can't rely on anyone else anymore.'
-
-
"(N). (N)! Wake up!" (N) opens his eyes to see Myles in his school uniform. "Today's your first day at work. You don't wanna be late. Oh. I made breakfast." (N) yawns and follows Myles to the living room. He eats his breakfast as Myles washes the dishes. "It's good." "I'm glad. If you want I can come over and make dinner tonight." "Oh I don't know when I'll be back." (N) turns around to see Myles drying his hands with a smile. "I don't mind waiting!"
-
(N) walks to work with a smile and blush. 'Wait for me huh?' The male chuckles and makes his way to the work. (N) takes in a deep breath and opens the door to the electrical company. "Good morning everyone!" Some of the men in the room wave and greet (N). Takashi leads him into the locker room where they change into their uniforms. An older man walks into the locker room. "Morning you two. This must be the kid?"

(N) bows his head at the man. "I'm (N) (L/n). Thank you for the job, sir." "Thank you coming now I must warn you. The first few days are rough so don't overwork yourself." "Yes sir! I won't let you down."
-
-
Takashi drives the company van and glances at (N). "You've changed." "I have?" "Yes. You seem more mature." "Really?!" Takashi chuckles as (N) looks out the window at a family walking by. "But you're still a kid in some ways. Do me a favor and try not to quit on your first day." (N) laughs and watches the family from the side mirror. "Me quitting? I've got an apartment to pay for."
-
-
(N) grips the pole tightly while holding up a streetlight and looks at the ground as Takashi works on attacking the streetlight to the pole. "Don't use your arms to support your body. That's why we have a rope. It's safe." "Easy for you to say." "You won't last long using your energy to hug the pole. Tighten the bolts in diagonal order. Be sure to check everything once you're finished. Got that?" (N) shifts his weight and leans back against the rope. "Y-Yes sir." "Good. Now tighten these bolts." "Yes sir."

(N) grabs his wrench and tightens the bolts. On the last bolt, he fumbles and the wrench falls to the ground. "What are you doing?!" "I'm sorry!" "You can afford to make mistakes on this job. What if someone was down there? What if someone you loved was down there? You have to be careful. Very careful." An image of Myles flashes in (N)'s mind. "Yes sir."
-
-
(N) groans and massages his leg. Takashi watches him while sorting through the van. "Tired already?" "Yea. My whole body is aching like crazy. I thought I had better stamina than this." "You'll get used to it. C'mon we're going to our next stop." (N) climbs into the passenger seat and leans against the window. Takashi chuckles and starts the van. "You can make it just four more stops."
-
-
"I'm leaving. See you tomorrow." (N) says at the front door. His co-workers and boss smile at him. "Bye. Good work today." (N) closes the door and groans as his body throbs in pain.
-
-
(N) fumbles with his door and falls to the floor. Myles gasps and crouches in front of him. "(N)! Are you okay?!" "Mm. Yea. I'm home." (N) smiles tiredly as Myles pulls him up. "Here. Let's get you to the table. Dinners ready." (N) sits at the table and places a piece of chicken in his mouth. "It's good." "I'm glad. Oh, today I was able to stop by the library and have tea with Tsumiki, and then..."

Myles's voice becomes distant as (N)'s vision goes in and out. "(N)? You should lie down. You look tired." (N) sits up and blinks slowly. "No...I'm fine...tell me more about....your day." "Umm okay. Then I had..." The next morning (N) has breakfast with Myles. "How did you sleep last night? You looked worn out." (N) rolls his shoulder with a groan. "Like a rock. My muscles still ache but I feel better."

Myles smiles and reaches across the table filling up (N)'s cup. "Don't work yourself too hard out there okay?" "Okay."
-
-
'Myles is the one thing that's keeping me going. He checks in on me before and after work. As long as I have him nothing can keep me down.'