27

River looks at all the toys in the shop but still hasn't chosen one. (N) walks over to a shelf and holds up a toy robot. "How about this one?" River smiles brightly and nods.
-
(N) watches River play with the toy and tilts his head. "Wouldn't you rather have a girl toy?" "No. Robots are cool!" "She really is a tomboy." (N) mutters under his breath and River looks at him. "What?" "Nothing. Just keep playing." (N) leans his head back against the seat. 'I wonder if she's enjoying her summer?..probably not. Since she's stuck with me.'
-
(N) groans as a small body crawls over him. He sits up to see River with messy hair. "What's wrong?" "Gotta potty. Number two." "Be careful. It's dark." "Okay." (N) lays back down before getting up. He walks behind River and waits for her to come out of the bathroom. Eventually, she exits the bathroom and looks at (N). "I did it all by myself." "Good for you. Come on." The two walk through the hallway to their room but River stops and stares out the window.

(N) sighs and walks over to her. She points out the window at a green light. "What's that?" "It's a firefly." (N) eyes look up at the moon before turning to River. She quickly looks away as (N) sighs. "What? Is something wrong?" She shakes her head. "Is there something on my face?" She shakes her head again. "Then stop staring at me. It's not nice." (N) crosses his arms and glances back out the window.

He turns to find River staring at him but she looks down. "What? Just say what you wanna say...not talking 'cause you're scared of me?" (N) sighs and bends over. "I promise I won't yell anymore. So just tell me what's wrong?" River fiddles with her fingers and looks over at (N). "I want to know about Papa." (N)'s eyes widen and he stands up. "Why don't you ask Clara?" "I did. But she won't tell me anything." (N) scoffs and turns away.

"Ask Clara when we get back. Tell her I wouldn't tell you anything." He says bitterly and walks off. River quickly follows behind him. (N) rolls in bed and looks at River's sleeping face.
-
-
(N) exits the train and glances at River. The girl tiredly stumbles after him. "Don't fall asleep now. We have a lot of walking to do." "Mmm okay." After walking up the dirt path the two stare in awe at the field of sunflowers. River gasps and her eyes light up. (N) crouches down with a slight smile. "Want a better view?" "Uh huh!" "Here. Hold on tight." River gasps as (N) stands up with her on his shoulders. 'She's light.' (N) shifts the girl on his shoulders. "Look at the flowers!" "Woah! They're so pretty!" A soft smile forms on (N)'s face as River kicks her feet.

(N) sits under a tree watching River run through the flowers with her toy. "Stay where I can see you!" 'I guess going on this trip was worth it.' "Haha hi!" River giggles waving frantically and (N) smiles while waving back.
-
(N) groans and sits up from the tree. 'I fell asleep.' River walks up to him with teary eyes. "What's wrong?" "I lost my toy."
-
(N) stands up from the ground and sighs. He turns to River as the girl digs through the flowers. "C'mon River. It's gone. I'll buy you a new one on the way back." "But I want that one." (N) sighs and walks back to the tree. "Why are you so stubborn." He watches River in the flowers and then suddenly sees a small version of himself with his father. (E/c) eyes widen and he turns to see his younger self and father walk down the dirt path.

(N) stands up confused and hesitantly follows but calls out to River first. "River! I'm going down that way! Just stay there!"  "Okay!" The young man walks up a set of stone steps. 'Why do I feel like I've been here before.' He finally reaches the edge of the hill where an older woman with (h/c) sits on a bench. She stands up with a gentle smile. "It's good to see you (N). You've grown so much."

"I. I'm sorry. Do I know you?" "Yes. Although you were quite young. My name is Cindy (L/n). (D/n) (L/n) is my son. I'm your grandmother."
-
The two sit on the bench as the sky turns a soft orange. "A woman named Asumi called me. She said you would come here eventually. So I waited." (N) looks at the sun and chuckles softly. "So Clara did plan all of this." "You've become a fine young man since I last saw you." "I'm sorry. I don't really remember." Cindy smiles at (N). "I'm not surprised. You were so young. We met right here. It was around the time when your mother and father were having a hard time."

"Your father thought a family trip would fix things. I haven't seen him for a long time. Is he still in jail?" (N) looks down. "No. He's out and back at home. As far as I know." "Mmm. It must've been hard on you?" "Not really." Cindy looks back at the sunset. "Your father and mother were still in high school when they got engaged. After graduation, they got married and moved in together. They were so in love and happy. Your father got a part-time job and attended the community college. Your mother got a job as well. They lived in a tiny apartment but had each other to rely on."

"Your father was over the moon. He was living with the love of his life after all. Not too long after your mother got pregnant. They were so excited to have you. But. All good things must come to an end. You were too young to notice but your parents fell out of love. They tried to stay together for you but they divorced. I...know your father didn't take it well and turned to drinking and burying himself with work. But. He stayed. He was determined to raise you. I'm sure it was hard for you to deal with an alcoholic father but please remember he chose to stay with you."

Cindy stands up and offers (N) her hand. He slowly stands up with her. "Asumi told me you were suffering the same fate as your father. I'm so sorry you. That's why I came here. I wanted you to remember how good a man your father was." (N) smiles bitterly. "Sometimes he would come home from work and with toys or candy. He would hold my hand and we would go on walks. It's sad how easily I forgot about that."

"I know he wasn't perfect but I know he worked hard for you. And for that reason no matter what I'll always be proud of him. As a father, I know he did a good job." Cindy smiles at (N) and he smiles back. "Yeah...I think so too." Cindy caresses (N)'s cheek. "Thank you. Please tell your father that his job is done. He deserves to rest now. Tell him to come back home. I'll be right here waiting for him." (N) smiles. "I will."
-
-
"River! Did you find it?" River stands up and shakes her head. "Oh my. Is that your little girl?" "Yes." (N) walks away from Cindy and towards River. He crouches in the flowers as the girl turns to him. "I'm sorry River. But the toy is gone. We've done all we could. I'll buy you another one." River grips her dress and sniffles. "But...that was the first one you brought me...daddy." (N)'s eyes widen and his fist clenched.

"River...you've been lonely haven't you?" River nods. "Did you have a fun trip? Even if it was with a mean guy like me?" River nods again. (N) inhales and looks down. "I know I've been a bad daddy for so long. But now I wanna work hard and take care of you. Can I stay with you River?" "Yes." "Really?" "I want you to stay." (N) smiles softly. "Thank you." River sniffles and her voice trembles. "Daddy. I don't have to hold it in anymore right? Like you said on the train."

River hiccups as her eyes tear up. "C-Cause Clara said I can only cry in the bathroom or w-when I'm in...daddy's arms." (N) looks at her with teary eyes and opens his arms. River hugs (N) and cries. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." (N) says holding her tightly.
-
-
River sits on the other seat and stares out the window on the train as (N) watches her. "Hey, River. Still wanna know about Papa?" "Uh-huh." "Come sit over here." River hops out of the seat and jumps over to the one beside (N). "Alright let's see. Back when I first met Papa in high school he was having a hard time. He didn't believe in himself and would always cry." (N) chuckles fondly. "Whenever he was nervous he would play with his fingers. But with our friend's help, he grew stronger. Your papa was the sweetest. He always looked out for others. He would-"

(N) places a hand on his head and looks at his lap. "Your papa was...he." Tears roll down (N)'s face. "Myles. Myles was..." River tugs (N)'s sleeve with teary eyes. "Daddy?" "Silly. Don't cry." He wipes away River's tears then his own. "I was just thinking about papa. Mmm. Let's see. Back in high school papa was really excited about putting on a play..." As (N) spoke he held River's hand. 'I found it Myles. The one thing only I can protect. My precious treasure. Right here with me.'