Chapter 8

~°•→♥♪..∞..♪♥←•°~
💚💛❤️

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

In the kitchen, Yibo, his mother, and sister Ziyi chatted as they waited for breakfast. Yibo shared, "Mom, this is a big project, and Mr. Zhao entrusted it to me." His mother and sister praised him in unison, "Well done, son! Well done, brother!"

Just then, Ziyi's phone rang, lying on the counter behind Yibo. As he reached for it, Ziyi quickly snatched it up, arousing Yibo's suspicion. The conversation unfolded:

Ziyi: Hello, Xiao Xiao (Cheng Xiao, her best friend).
Zhan: Are you with someone right now? (Confused)
Ziyi: Yes, yes... we'll meet in an hour, okay? (Avoiding eye contact with Yibo, busying herself by stirring the soup)
Zhan: Do you mean you want me to pick you up from the university? (Confused, raised eyebrow)
Ziyi: Yes, that's right. See you then.
Zhan: Okay, see you in an hour.

Ziyi ended the call, meeting her brother's suspicious gaze. "I'll drop you off at the university," he said and ziyi agreed and quickly exiting the kitchen to the small garden outside their home, leaving Yibo's suspecious eyes following her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the garden, the family gathered for breakfast. Yibo's mother beamed with pride, "Son, you've made our lives so much easier. We struggled to pay rent for this house for years, but now we own it, thanks to you." Yibo humbly replied, "Don't mention it, Mom. It's my responsibility."

Just then, his phone rang. He excused himself to answer it, and his father sighed, "His phone never seems to stop ringing." Haoxuan chimed in with a sarcastic grin, "That's what it means to be a boss, Dad."

Yibo answered the call, "Hello?"

"Hello, Mr. Wang. Mr. Liu accepted your invitation to meet at the xxx restaurant at 5 pm," a voice said from the other end.

"Okay," Yibo replied briefly and ended the call. He then called his driver to pick him up from around the corner, not in front of the house.

He returned to the table, and his mother asked, "Yibo, are you returning to Sichuan soon?" He replied, "Yes, Mom, I'm just here to wrap up some work, and then I'll be back soon." His mother's face fell, and she said wistfully, "What's the point of you coming back if you're just going to leave again? Can't you stay here with us?" Yibo's father intervened, "Let's discuss this later, dear. Let's eat now."

As they began to eat, Ziyi asked mischievously, "Ge, is there a beautiful girl in Sichuan who's caught your eye?", her mother joined in, "Does someone special occupy your heart, Yibo?" Yibo replied, "No, Mom, there's no one I like in Sichuan." His father chimed in, "What about Mr. Zhao's niece, Liying?" Yibo sighed, "She's just a friend, Dad." He continued eating, his expression unchanging.

His mother said, "Don't be too quick to call her just a friend. You never know what the future holds." Ziyi teased, "Yeah, brother, are you planning on getting married and having kids?" Yibo replied emotionlessly, "I'm not getting married, and Liying and I are just friends."

His mother snapped, "You're still hung up on that failed love from five years ago, aren't you?" Yibo's father tried to intervene, but she continued, "There's no future for you and him. He's a liar and a spoiled brat!" Yibo argued, "Mom, I've moved on." His mother countered, "You haven't." They continue to argue until James intervened, and they finally finished their breakfast in an uneasy silence.